Determine directions for 2 dimensional Force Systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of equilibrium equations in relation to a smooth pin, which has two unknowns: Fx and Fy. The direction of Fy is dependent on satisfying the equilibrium equations, where the sum of forces and moments must equal zero. If you assume the wrong direction, you will get a negative result.
kivine

Homework Statement

Example 1
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6944/86439707.png
Example 2
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/2154/ay2.png

Homework Equations

Non.

The Attempt at a Solution

For a smooth pin, there are 2 unknowns. Fx and Fy
Why does Ay (Fy) act in the -ve(down) direction, and sometimes in the up direction ^
I'm quite confused :grumpy:
Does the question got to do with the directions? I will post the question if needed to

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The direction is dependent on satisfying the equilibrium equations where the sum of forces and moments about a point must equal zero. You can always assume a direction, and if you get a minus sign for your result, you assumed the wrong direction.

thanks alot. .:blushing:

What is a 2-dimensional force system?

A 2-dimensional force system is a collection of forces acting on an object in two dimensions, typically represented on a coordinate plane.

How do I determine the direction of a force in a 2-dimensional force system?

The direction of a force can be determined by the angle it makes with the x-axis on the coordinate plane. This angle is typically measured in degrees or radians.

What is the difference between magnitude and direction in a 2-dimensional force system?

The magnitude of a force refers to its size or strength, while the direction refers to the angle it makes with the x-axis. Both magnitude and direction are necessary to fully describe a force in a 2-dimensional force system.

Can two forces in a 2-dimensional force system have the same direction?

No, two forces cannot have the same direction in a 2-dimensional force system. Each force must have its own unique direction, even if they are parallel to each other.

How can I use vector addition to determine the overall direction of a 2-dimensional force system?

To determine the overall direction of a 2-dimensional force system, you can use vector addition to find the resultant force. The direction of the resultant force will be the same as the direction of the overall force system.