Work and Kinetic Energy and elastic collision

In summary, the conversation is discussing an elastic collision between two bodies, with one being at rest and the other having a mass of 2 kg. After the collision, the 2 kg body continues to move in its original direction but with one-fourth of its original speed. The question is asking for the mass of the struck body. One approach to solving this problem is by comparing the kinetic energy and momentum of the two bodies. By using the equation V = Z - W, where V is the initial velocity, Z is the resulting velocity of the struck object, and W is the resulting velocity of the first object, the initial velocity (v) can be multiplied to both sides to get V/v = (m1-m2)/(m
siemieniuk
hey all... have a question:

a body of 2 kg mass makes an elastic collision with another body at rest and afterwards continues to move in the original direction but with one-fourth of it's original speed. What is the mass of the struck body?

I started with comparing kinetic energy, then took a look at momentum... but I'm just not sure how I can solve for body #2's mass when I don't have a resultant velocity or anything... please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
But you do have a resultant velocity, as it is elastic. Therefore, speed of approach must equal the relative speed after the collision.

V = Z - W

Where V is the initial velocity, Z is the resulting velocity of the struck object, and W is the resulting velocity of the first object.

Let V be final velocity and v be initial velocity of the 2 kg mass. Take the basic equation and multiply each side by v:

V/v = [(m1-m2)/(m1 + m2)]

We know that the ratio of V/v = 1/4. Therefore

1/4 = (m1 - m2)/(m1 + m2)

Cross multiply:

m1 + m2 = 4m1 - 4m2

0 = 3m1 - 5m2

0 = 3 (2 kg) - 5 m2

Sorry; I meant divide each side by v

thanks... appreciate it more than you know

1. What is work and kinetic energy?

Work is the process of applying a force to an object and causing it to move a certain distance. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion and is directly related to its mass and speed.

2. How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula for work is W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is elastic collision?

Elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision remains the same. In an elastic collision, the objects involved bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

4. How is kinetic energy related to elastic collision?

In elastic collisions, the total kinetic energy of the system remains the same before and after the collision. This means that the kinetic energy of the individual objects involved also remains the same. Therefore, kinetic energy is directly related to elastic collision as it remains constant in this type of collision.

5. How is the conservation of energy applied in elastic collisions?

The conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In elastic collisions, the total kinetic energy before and after the collision remains the same, demonstrating the conservation of energy. This is because the kinetic energy is transferred between the objects involved in the collision without any loss.