Simple Probability Equation

• Thread starter tntcoder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses a probability equation that evaluates to 0.5. The equation involves the length of texts and the probability of selecting a text with a related compressed text of a specific length. The context is based on a research paper and the conversation asks for an explanation of where the 0.5 value comes from. It is mentioned that the equation may have been typed incorrectly and the correct answer is 2, but if the equation is the reciprocal of the intended one, it does evaluate to 0.5.
tntcoder
Hi,

Please can someone explain to me how this probability equation evaluates to 0.5

[tex]\frac{2^{f(n)+2}}{2^{f(n)+1}} = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

f(n) is essentially anything in this context.

For me the probability evaluates to 2, but this is straight out a research paper and I can't doubt their maths.

This is the context:

Because there are [tex]2^{f(n)+2}[/tex] texts with length [tex]f(n)+2[/tex], the probability for a selected text with length [tex]f(n)+2[/tex] having a related
compressed text of length ≤ f(n) is less than [tex]\frac{2^{f(n)+2}}{2^{f(n)+1}} = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Please can someone explain to me where the 0.5 comes from? I can see if i turn the equation upside down it works, but I am guessing its not that simple :p

Physics news on Phys.org
Make sure you've typed things correctly - otherwise the expression seems to be the reciprocal of what it should be.

[tex]
\frac{2^{f(n)+2}}{2^{f(n)+1}} = \frac{2 \times 2^{f(n)+1}}{2^{f(n)+1}} = 2
[/tex]

If the original expression is the reciprocal of what you've typed, the expression does
reduce to 1/2

What is a simple probability equation?

A simple probability equation is a mathematical representation of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is typically expressed as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

How do you calculate probability using a simple equation?

To calculate probability using a simple equation, you divide the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This will give you a value between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

What are the basic principles of a simple probability equation?

The basic principles of a simple probability equation include the assumption of equally likely outcomes, the concept of independent events, and the use of complementary events (i.e. the probability of an event occurring is equal to 1 minus the probability of it not occurring).

What real-life applications use simple probability equations?

Simple probability equations are used in a variety of fields, including finance, sports, and weather forecasting. They can help determine the likelihood of stock market trends, the chances of a team winning a game, and the probability of a thunderstorm occurring on a given day.

What are the limitations of a simple probability equation?

Simple probability equations assume that all outcomes are equally likely, which may not always be the case in real life. They also do not account for any external factors that may influence the outcome of an event. Additionally, they are based on past data and cannot predict future events with certainty.