CHEM: Calculate the volume of water expected if the yield of ester were 100%.

In summary, the volume of water expected if the yield of ester were 100% can be calculated by using the balanced equation of the reaction between n-propanol and propanoic acid to form n-propyl Propanoate and water. The expected volume can be found by using the density of water, which is 1g/ml, and the mass of water produced, which can be calculated by multiplying the number of moles of water by its molar mass.
pogge123

Homework Statement

Calculate the volume of water expected if the yield of ester were 100%.
19.0mL of n-propanol (0.25 Mol)
18.5mL(0.25 Mol) propanoic acid.
5 drops concentrated sulfuric acid

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

C3H7OH + C3H5COOH ---> C6H12O2 + H2O ( not sure this is right)

Physics news on Phys.org
Reaction is wrong - how many carbons in propanoic acid?

However, this is a very simple case of 1:1:1:1 reaction - how many moles of products do you expect?

Last edited by a moderator:
theres 4, which now makes me confused because the experiment was suppossed to create n-propyl Propanoate. Whiich i thought was CH3CH2C(O)OC3H7 or C6H12O2?

Also wouldn't you just expect there to be One mole of n-propyl Propanoate and one Mole of H20? How do you find the expected volume of water from that?

So balance equation = 10C3H7OH + 6C3H5COOH = 9C6H12O2 + 4H2O?

** Our lab manual says C3H5COOH is propanoic acid**

So I am assuming that's a typo and should be C3H6O2 Which then made my orignal equation correct

C3H7OH + C3H6O2---> C6H12O2 + H2O

Last edited:
Your manual is wrong, this is a classic mistake.

What is water density?

if i recall density of water is 1g/ml.

So to find Volume you use D=m/v But what is the mass in this case?
Borek said:
Your manual is wrong, this is a classic mistake.

What is water density?

pogge123 said:
if i recall density of water is 1g/ml.

So to find Volume you use D=m/v But what is the mass in this case?

How many moles? Molar mass?

1 mol?? or is it 0.25 Our lab manual is very unorganized.. molar mass is 18.0153 g/mol.

If they react 1->1, and you start with 0.25 mole, how many moles of water are produced? How many grams it is?

mass = n x MM
Therefore 0.25 moles X 18.015 molar mass =4.50 g

then Volume = mass/density

Volume= 4.50g/ 1.0g cm^3
Volume= 4.50 mL??

Wasn't that hard :wink:

1. How do you calculate the volume of water expected if the yield of ester were 100%?

The volume of water expected in a reaction can be calculated using the formula: V = (n x M x Vm) / My, where n is the number of moles of ester, M is the molar mass of water, Vm is the molar volume of water at standard temperature and pressure, and My is the molar mass of the ester.

2. What are the necessary measurements and information needed to calculate the volume of water in a reaction with 100% ester yield?

To calculate the volume of water expected, you will need to know the number of moles of ester present, the molar mass of water and the ester, and the molar volume of water at standard temperature and pressure.

3. Can the volume of water expected be calculated if the yield of ester is less than 100%?

Yes, the volume of water can still be calculated if the yield of ester is less than 100%. However, the final volume of water will be less than the calculated value due to the incomplete conversion of ester to water.

4. Why is it important to calculate the volume of water in a reaction with ester?

The volume of water expected in a reaction is important to know as it can affect the overall volume of the reaction mixture and can also give an indication of the completeness of the reaction. It is also important for accurate stoichiometric calculations and determining the efficiency of the reaction.

5. Are there any limitations to using this formula to calculate the volume of water in a reaction with ester?

Yes, there are some limitations to this formula. It assumes that the reaction is carried out at standard temperature and pressure and that the ester is the limiting reagent. It also does not take into account any side reactions or impurities that may affect the yield of ester.