Partition Function for Thermodynamic System

In summary, the partition function for a system that can exist in energy levels is defined as the sum of the exponential values of each energy level. If the middle level is degenerate, the partition function becomes (1+exp(-epsilon/kT))^2. The Helmholtz free energy for this system is NkTln(1+(-2epsilon/kT))^2, and the entropy is -2Nkln(1+exp(-epsilon/kT))-(2Nk(epsilon/kT)exp(-epsilon/kT))/(1+exp(-epsilon/kT)).
Hart

Homework Statement

I. Finding the partition function Z.

II. If the middle level (only) is degenerate, i.e. there are two states with the same energy, show that the partition function is:

[tex] Z = (1+exp(\frac{-\epsilon}{k_{B}T}))^{2}[/tex]

III. State the Helmholtz free energy F of the assembly in part II.

IV. Show the entropy of the assembly in part II is:

[tex] S = 2Nk_{B} ln(1 + exp^({\frac{-\epsilon}{k_{B}T}})) + \frac{2Nk_{B}(\frac{-\epsilon}{k_{B}T}) exp(\frac{-\epsilon}{k_{B}T})}{1+exp(\frac{-\epsilon}{k_{B}T})}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Partition function for a system that can exist in energy levels [tex]\epsilon_{1},\epsilon_{2},..,\epsilon_{i},..[/tex] etc. is defined as:

[tex]Z=\sum_{i}exp(\frac{-\epsilon_{i}}{k_{B}T})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Part I:

physforum2.jpg

Part II: Don't know how to do this! :|

Part III:

Free energy: [tex]F=-Nk_{B}Tln(Z)[/tex]

Each atom replaced by 3 oscillators..

.. therefore: [tex]F=-3Nk_{B}Tln(Z)[/tex]

Define: [tex]Z = \frac{exp(-\frac{\theta}{2T})}{1-exp(-\frac{\theta}{T})}[/tex]

.. hence after substitution:

[tex]F=-3Nk_{B}Tln(\frac{exp(-\frac{\theta}{2T})}{1-exp(-\frac{\theta}{T})})}[/tex]

Which rearranges to:

[tex]Z = \frac{exp(-\frac{\theta}{2T})}{1-exp(-\frac{\theta}{T})}[/tex]

Part IV: Don't know how to do this! :|

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, after looking at this question details again earlier today..

The partition function for a system that can exist in energy levels [tex]\epsilon_{1}, \epsilon_{2}, ... , \epsilon_{i}, ... [/tex] is defined as:

[tex]Z = \sum_{i}exp\left(\frac{-\epsilon_{i}}{k_{B}T}\right)[/tex]

Suppose that the energy levels of each particle in an assembly of N localised particles in a solid are: [tex] 0 , \epsilon, 2\epsilon[/tex]

Therefore attempts at the solutions:

I.

Input into the expression: [tex]exp\left(\frac{-\epsilon_{i}}{k_{B}T}\right)[/tex]

the values of [tex] 0, \epsilon, 2\epsilon[/tex] which results in three similar equations.

Then using the fact that the equation for the partition function Z contains the sum of these values, simply add the three calculated values together. Therefore deduce:

[tex]Z = \sum_{i}exp\left(\frac{-\epsilon_{i}}{k_{B}T}\right) = 1 + exp\left(\frac{-\epsilon}{k_{B}T}\right) + exp\left(\frac{-2\epsilon}{k_{B}T}\right)[/tex]

Which is the value of the partition function.

II.

[tex] Z = 1 + exp\left(\frac{-\epsilon}{k_{B}T}\right) + exp\left(\frac{-2\epsilon}{k_{B}T}\right)[/tex]

If the middle level is degenerate then the middle term in the expression of Z derived (i.e. therefore the second term) appears twice. Therefore simply multiply this term by 2, and calculating the resulting new value of Z (proving the stated value of Z to be shown):

[tex] Z = \left(1 + exp\left(\frac{-2\epsilon}{k_{B}T}\right)\right)^{2}[/tex]

III.

Helmholtz Free Energy of the value derived in part II:

[tex]F = - Nk_{B}T\ln{(Z)} = Nk_{B}T\ln{\left(1 + \left(\frac{-2\epsilon}{k_{B}T}\right)\right)^{2}}[/tex]

.. which I don't think I can do anymore with other than state as that.

IV.

[tex]S = - \left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial T}\right)_{V} = -Nk_{B} \left\frac{\partial}{\partial T}\left(T\ln{\left(1 + \left(\frac{-2\epsilon}{k_{B}T}\right)\right)^{2}} \right)[/tex]

.. and then just need to calculate:

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial T}\right)[/tex]

.. which should give the expression to be shown.

Is this all correct?

Last edited:

1. What is the partition function for a thermodynamic system?

The partition function for a thermodynamic system is a mathematical function that describes the distribution of particles in different energy states at a given temperature. It is used to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system, such as its energy, entropy, and free energy.

2. How is the partition function calculated?

The partition function is calculated by summing over all possible energy states of a system, weighted by the Boltzmann factor. This factor takes into account the energy and temperature of the system, and is given by e^(-E/kT), where E is the energy of a state, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. What is the significance of the partition function in thermodynamics?

The partition function is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics, as it allows us to calculate important thermodynamic properties of a system, such as its internal energy, entropy, and free energy. It also provides a link between the microscopic behavior of individual particles and the macroscopic behavior of the whole system.

4. How does the partition function change with temperature?

The partition function is directly dependent on temperature, as it is included in the Boltzmann factor. As temperature increases, the Boltzmann factor decreases, resulting in a decrease in the partition function. This means that at higher temperatures, the system is more likely to be in higher energy states.

5. Can the partition function be used for all types of thermodynamic systems?

Yes, the partition function can be used for any type of thermodynamic system, as long as the system is in thermal equilibrium. It is applicable to both classical and quantum systems, and can be used for systems with any number of particles and energy levels.