Are my lithium niobate simulation results accurate?

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving lithium niobate and simulations in comsol. The results of the analysis seem off and the person is looking for help understanding the parameters and boundary conditions used in the simulation. It is suggested to run simpler simulations first to ensure the model is behaving correctly before moving on to more complicated ones.
DapDunkerley
My professor is having me look into lithium niobate and run some tests on it in comsol to do a pretest on an experiment. I do not know much about them, but the results I am getting from the analysis seems off from what it should be. I feel like I am missing a parameter or boundary condition.

The model is a 1 micrometer block of lithium niobate with a disk that is 50 nm across and 1 nm thick in the center of the face of one side of the block. The side opposite of the disk is the ground. I would think that the most stress would be right around the disk and gradually reduce towards the ground. I included some pictures and am hoping someone can help me make sense of it.

Attachments

• Piezoelectric 2.PNG
    Piezoelectric 2.PNG
    20.4 KB · Views: 465
  • Piezoelectric 4.PNG
    Piezoelectric 4.PNG
    31.7 KB · Views: 448
  • Piezoelectric 7.PNG
    Piezoelectric 7.PNG
    27.8 KB · Views: 472
Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you could provide a bit more information about the exact parameters and boundary conditions that you have set up in your simulation. It's also worth considering which type of analysis you are performing - is it a static solution, or a dynamic one? Depending on the type of analysis, there may be some additional parameters or boundary conditions that need to be considered. Additionally, it might be useful to run some test simulations with simpler geometries first, to make sure that the model is behaving as expected. This will help you spot any errors in the setup or potential numerical issues before you start running more complicated simulations.

What is a piezoelectric material?

A piezoelectric material is a type of material that can generate an electrical charge in response to mechanical stress, or vice versa. This means that when pressure or force is applied to the material, it can produce an electrical charge, and when an electrical charge is applied to the material, it can cause the material to deform or vibrate.

What are some common applications of piezoelectric materials?

Piezoelectric materials are commonly used in sensors, actuators, and transducers for various applications. They are also used in medical devices, such as ultrasound machines and pacemakers, and in consumer electronics, such as touchscreens and piezoelectric speakers.

How do piezoelectric materials work?

Piezoelectric materials work due to the arrangement of their atoms. In these materials, the positive and negative charges are separated, creating a dipole moment. When an external force is applied, it causes a shift in the positions of the charges, resulting in a change in the dipole moment and the generation of an electrical charge.

What are the advantages of using piezoelectric materials?

Piezoelectric materials have several advantages, including their ability to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy and vice versa, their high sensitivity and precision, and their durability and reliability. They also do not require a power source to operate, making them a more energy-efficient option compared to other sensors and actuators.

What are some common types of piezoelectric materials?

Some common types of piezoelectric materials include quartz, ceramics, and certain types of crystals, such as tourmaline and Rochelle salt. These materials have different properties and are used for different applications, depending on their specific characteristics and capabilities.