Bungee Jumping Grav: Thanks for Your Support

• Thread starter Aly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bungee
In summary, the conversation was about bungee jumping and the physics behind it. The participants discussed the concept of potential energy and the equations used to calculate it. They also mentioned the importance of the rope's length and stretchiness for safety reasons. Some suggestions were made for creating a bungee cord that starts at 15m and stretches to 30m. There was also a mention of the need for a "stiff enough" spring constant to prevent the rope from breaking or stretching too much. Overall, the conversation provided interesting insights into the engineering and physics of bungee jumping.
Aly
Grav.

Thanks for all your help guys

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? :confused:

Aly said:
Anyone? :confused:

Some interesting reading at
http://www.nolimits-bungee.com/engineering/acro_e.html
It looks like the manufacturer will rate the cord for load, I'm not sure about the distance jumped.

I didn't look at the guarantee, though, the print was too fine. I'll assume they'll refund the price of the cord if it fails * :-) :-)

*if the buyer requests it in person

Last edited by a moderator:
At the top (40m above ground, or whatever it is @ the bottom). you have MAX PE, while the PE of the bungee is 0. At the bottom you have no PE, while the bungee has MAX PE.

Assuming no energy loss, your PE is "mgh", and the bungee's (assuming it is quite elastic) is "(1/2)(kx^2)".

I believe that when they say "solve for the parameter", it means that you're solving for the spring constant of the bungee, "k".

Of course, the above scenario was the simplified version, where you are considered a point mass. You could make calculations a bit more accurate and assume your centre of mass is located at half your height, and implement that information into your calculations.

I think air friction due to you coming down can be neglected.

I don't think the length of the rope matters, as long as there is some rope to begin with.

you can't really calculate a specific k constant for a specific mass. You should make a constant that will have a range for different masses, ie. 60kg - 120kg. And you should end up with a rage of streches for the rope. Also, you have to factor in the length of the rope when you are dealing with the equation:

[tex] P_e = \frac{1}{2}kx^2 [/tex]

Nenad said:
you can't really calculate a specific k constant for a specific mass. You should make a constant that will have a range for different masses, ie. 60kg - 120kg. And you should end up with a rage of streches for the rope. Also, you have to factor in the length of the rope when you are dealing with the equation:

[tex] P_e = \frac{1}{2}kx^2 [/tex]

Just to expand on this a little more, the idea is to have a k "stiff enough" that the rope won't break, or stretch permanently (plastic flow). I presume that the ropes are rated to stretch to some fraction of their original length, but I don't know what that fraction is.

The good news is that apparrently when using a stretchy rope one doesn't need the same LARGE safety factors that one needs when trying to suspend a person from a static rope. The stretch apparently takes care of the dynamic loading issue that makes the large safety factors necessary when using a static (non-stretching) rope.

1. I wouldn't bother with it (unless you were told to research it) - make your own rope. How about one that starts at 15m long and stretches to 30?

2. Length of rope matters, but since it wasn't given to you, you get to pick. Longer rope means less stretch (longer freefall, more of a jerk at the end) and a shorter rope means more stretch.

3. Not good or bad, just information. A 15m rope stretching to 30 would fit that bill.

1. What is bungee jumping?

Bungee jumping is an extreme sport in which a person jumps from a tall structure while connected to a large elastic cord. The person then experiences a free fall followed by a rebound, resulting in a thrilling and adrenaline-pumping experience.

2. Is bungee jumping safe?

When done properly with proper equipment and trained professionals, bungee jumping is generally considered safe. However, as with any extreme sport, there are risks involved and it is important to follow all safety guidelines and precautions.

3. How does the bungee cord work?

The bungee cord used in bungee jumping is made of elastic materials, typically rubber or latex, and has a high elasticity and tensile strength. This allows it to stretch and contract as the person jumps and rebounds, ensuring a smooth and safe experience.

4. What are the best locations for bungee jumping?

The best locations for bungee jumping are usually tall structures such as bridges or towers, with a height of at least 100 feet. Some popular bungee jumping spots include the Macau Tower in China, the Bloukrans Bridge in South Africa, and the Nevis Highwire Bungy in New Zealand.

5. Can anyone bungee jump?

Bungee jumping is not recommended for everyone, as it requires a certain level of physical and mental fitness. People with heart conditions, high blood pressure, or back/neck problems should not participate in bungee jumping. It is also important to follow age and weight restrictions set by the bungee jumping company.