Sequence analysis of the Fibonacci sequence using matrices?

In summary: I'm not sure what you mean to do next, how exactly do I go about writing (1,0) as a combination of A^k(v_1) and A^k(v_2) ?You write it a combination of v1 and v2. Write a*v1+b*v2=(1,0) and solve for a and b. Then find what is A^k(1,0).
jspectral

Homework Statement

Using [tex]u_k = \[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc} F_{k+1} \\ F_k \end{array} \right)\] [/tex] [tex] u_0 = \[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc} 1 \\ 0 \end{array} \right)\][/tex] [tex] A = \[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc} 1 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{array} \right)\][/tex]
Solve for [tex]u_k[/tex] in terms of [tex]u_0[/tex] to show that:

[tex]F_k = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}\ \left(\left(\frac{1 + \sqrt{5}}{2}\ \right)^k - \left(\frac{1 - \sqrt{5}}{2}\ \right)^k\right) [/tex]

Homework Equations

See above.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I worked out that [tex]u_k = A^k u_0 [/tex]
[tex] \[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc} F_{k+1} \\ F_k \end{array} \right)\][/tex] = [tex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc} 1 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{array} \right)\]^k[/tex] [tex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc} 1 \\ 0 \end{array} \right)\] [/tex]

But I'm not sure of the matrix operations I need to use to expand that A matrix, and the other two, in order to obtain an algebraic expression.

Note: That 1,1,1,0 matrix is meant to be to the power of k, but the LaTex went weird.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of A. Then express u0 as a combination of eigenvectors.

Dick said:
You need to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of A. Then express u0 as a combination of eigenvectors.

We haven't been taught eigenvalues/vectors yet. Is there any other method you can think of to do this problem?

jspectral said:
We haven't been taught eigenvalues/vectors yet. Is there any other method you can think of to do this problem?

The only other way to do it that I can think of is to notice your sequence satisfies the recursion relation F_(k+2)=F_(k+1)+F_k. Now you look for exponential solutions by substituting F_k=C*p^k into that relation and solving for p. Since it's quadratic you get two solutions for p. Now combine them to fit the initial conditions. I'm not sure why you'd set it up with matrices if you aren't going to use eigenvectors, though.

Dick said:
The only other way to do it that I can think of is to notice your sequence satisfies the recursion relation F_(k+2)=F_(k+1)+F_k. Now you look for exponential solutions by substituting F_k=C*p^k into that relation and solving for p. Since it's quadratic you get two solutions for p. Now combine them to fit the initial conditions. I'm not sure why you'd set it up with matrices if you aren't going to use eigenvectors, though.

Okay, so I got the eigenvalues of the matrix A as [tex]\left(\frac{1 \pm \sqrt{5}}{2}\ \right)[/tex]

Now how do I use those eigenvalues with the power of k in order to obtain an expression for F_(k)?

If v is an eigenvector of your matrix M with eigenvalue r, then M^k(v)=r^k*v. That means if you write the column vector (1,0) as a combination of the two eigenvectors, the first entry of M^k((1,0)) must be F_k=C*((1+sqrt(5))/2)^k+D*((1-sqrt(5))/2)^k. Find the constants C and D by requiring the F_0=0 and F_1=1.

Dick said:
If v is an eigenvector of your matrix M with eigenvalue r, then M^k(v)=r^k*v. That means if you write the column vector (1,0) as a combination of the two eigenvectors, the first entry of M^k((1,0)) must be F_k=C*((1+sqrt(5))/2)^k+D*((1-sqrt(5))/2)^k. Find the constants C and D by requiring the F_0=0 and F_1=1.

Okay so the Eigenvectors for mine are:

[tex]
v_1 = \left(\frac{1 + \sqrt{5}}{2}\ , 1 \right)
[/tex]
and
[tex]
v_2 = \left(\frac{1 - \sqrt{5}}{2}\ , 1 \right)
[/tex]

So [tex] A^k(v_1) = \left(\frac{1 + \sqrt{5}}{2}\ , 1 \right) \frac{1 + \sqrt{5}}{2}\ [/tex] to the power of k for the non-vector
and
[tex] A^k(v_2) = \left(\frac{1 - \sqrt{5}}{2}\ , 1 \right) \frac{1 - \sqrt{5}}{2}\ [/tex] to the power of k for the non-vector

I'm not sure what you mean to do next, how exactly do I go about writing (1,0) as a combination of [tex] A^k(v_1) [/tex] and [tex] A^k(v_2) [/tex] ?

Last edited:
You write it a combination of v1 and v2. Write a*v1+b*v2=(1,0) and solve for a and b. Then find what is A^k(1,0).

1. What is the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence is a series of numbers where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers. The sequence starts with 0 and 1, and the subsequent numbers are calculated by adding the previous two numbers. The sequence goes as follows: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, etc.

2. How is the Fibonacci sequence related to matrices?

The Fibonacci sequence can be represented using a matrix. The matrix is called the Fibonacci matrix and it is a 2x2 matrix with the numbers 1, 1, 1, and 0 in the four positions. By raising this matrix to the nth power, the nth number in the Fibonacci sequence can be obtained.

3. What is sequence analysis?

Sequence analysis is the process of examining and analyzing a sequence of data, such as a string of characters or a series of numbers. In the case of the Fibonacci sequence, sequence analysis involves looking for patterns and relationships within the sequence to better understand its properties and behavior.

4. How is matrix multiplication used in analyzing the Fibonacci sequence?

Matrix multiplication is used to raise the Fibonacci matrix to the nth power, which allows us to find the nth number in the Fibonacci sequence. The process involves multiplying the matrix by itself n times, resulting in a new matrix with the desired number in the top left corner.

5. What are some real-world applications of sequence analysis of the Fibonacci sequence using matrices?

The Fibonacci sequence and its analysis using matrices have many practical applications. For example, it can be used in financial modeling to predict stock prices and market trends. It is also used in computer algorithms for efficient data storage and retrieval. Additionally, the Fibonacci sequence has been observed in natural phenomena, such as the growth patterns of plants and the arrangement of leaves on a stem.