So, Oregon State, engineering physics, and software engineering?

In summary, the conversation is about a student who plans on attending Oregon State University with their friends and potentially studying engineering physics before deciding on a specific engineering field. They question if this is a waste of time and if it will be useful for a career in software engineering. They are reassured that studying EP can be beneficial for software engineers and provide a strong foundation for problem-solving skills.
GreatEscapist
So, I'm a junior, but I'm planning on going to Oregon State. My two friends are going with me, and we plan on splitting bills and stuff like that. My whole family has kind of gone there, and I was hoping to break tradition, but I really love Oregon. I belong there.
I was going to go for my engineering physics for a few years, until I decide what engineering I'm going into. (Like, either electrical or software) Or I might just stick with physics, because I'm in love with it.
Does anyone go there? What's the program like?
And, my second question is, is taking EP before my engineering program a complete waste of my time? As in, it'll be fun, but wouldn't it just take me longer, and not get me that much farther ahead? Is that even USEFUL in a software engineer?
:frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, many students attend Oregon State University. The college offers a wide variety of courses and programs, including engineering physics. It is not a waste of time to take EP before engineering - in fact, having a deeper understanding of physics can be very beneficial to software engineers. EP can provide a strong foundation for the mathematics and problem-solving skills that all engineers need. Additionally, having an understanding of physics can help you better understand the physical implications of the software you are developing.

What is Oregon State known for?

Oregon State University is known for its strong engineering programs, particularly in the fields of engineering physics and software engineering.

What is engineering physics?

Engineering physics is a discipline that combines the principles of physics, mathematics, and engineering to solve real-world problems and design innovative technologies.

What is software engineering?

Software engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the development, design, and maintenance of software systems and applications.

What sets Oregon State's engineering programs apart?

Oregon State's engineering programs are known for their emphasis on hands-on learning and practical experience, as well as their strong industry connections and research opportunities.

What career opportunities are available for graduates of Oregon State's engineering programs?

Graduates of Oregon State's engineering programs have a wide range of career options, including roles in technology companies, research and development, consulting, and more. The demand for engineers in fields such as software development, renewable energy, and aerospace continues to grow, making it a promising field for job opportunities.