Current source in series with resistor

In summary: You guys are correct that the series resistor does not affect the current from the current source. I think in your statement here, you left out the word "resistor", so the slightly corrected quote would be:An ideal current source has an infinite output impedance in parallel with the source resistance.
rajohns08
1. In the case of a current source in series with a resisitor, can this be transformed to just a current source with 0 resistance, or is the resistance infinity in the Norton equivalent?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher told us this in class but i can't remember if a current source w/ resistor in series is same as 0 current or infinity current. And is the answer the same for the equivalent norton resistance?

Physics news on Phys.org
rajohns08 said:
1. In the case of a current source in series with a resisitor, can this be transformed to just a current source with 0 resistance, or is the resistance infinity in the Norton equivalent?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher told us this in class but i can't remember if a current source w/ resistor in series is same as 0 current or infinity current. And is the answer the same for the equivalent norton resistance?

A current source in series with a resistance is not a standard representation. The standard representations are a current source (infinite Zout) in parallel with a resistance, or a voltage source (zero Zout) in series with a resistance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thévenin_equivalent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton's_theorem

rajohns08 said:
My teacher told us this in class but i can't remember if a current source w/ resistor in series is same as 0 current or infinity current.

Neither. However, the statement "a current source with a resistor in series is same as 0 resistance" would most likely be what your teacher said, because the resistor would not affect the output current.

MRSquared said:
Neither. However, the statement "a current source with resistor in series is same as 0 resistance" would most likely be what your teacher said, because the resistor would not affect the output current.

Why do you say that? The output impedance of a current source is high (infinite for an ideal current source).

berkeman said:
Why do you say that? The output impedance of a current source is high (infinite for an ideal current source).

I agree that an ideal current source has an infinite output impedance in parallel with the source, but I was just replying to the OP's question about resistance in series with the source. :uhh:

berkeman said:

Because the current through the series resistor is independent of the value of the resistor and is input totally to the load.
Of course, there is a voltage drop through the series resistor, but the voltage and current in the load are not affected.

MRSquared said:
I agree that an ideal current source has an infinite output impedance in parallel with the source, but I was just replying to the OP's question about resistance in series with the source. :uhh:

You guys are correct that the series resistor does not affect the current from the current source. I think in your statement here, you left out the word "resistor", so the slightly corrected quote would be:

"an ideal current source has an infinite output impedance in parallel with the source resistance"

I think we are in agreement. I work with current source network transmitters a lot, so the output impedance and output compliance (how close you can drive your output waveform near the rails) are things I deal with quite a bit.

What is a current source in series with a resistor?

A current source in series with a resistor is a type of electrical circuit where a constant current source is connected in series with a resistor. This creates a circuit where the current remains constant regardless of the changes in resistance.

What is the purpose of using a current source in series with a resistor?

The purpose of using a current source in series with a resistor is to maintain a constant current flow in a circuit, even if the resistance changes. This is useful for applications where a specific amount of current is required, such as in electronic devices or sensors.

How does a current source in series with a resistor affect the overall circuit?

A current source in series with a resistor affects the overall circuit by controlling the current flow and limiting the amount of voltage across the resistor. It also ensures a stable current regardless of any changes in resistance or voltage.

What are the advantages of using a current source in series with a resistor?

There are several advantages to using a current source in series with a resistor. It provides a constant and stable current flow, which is important for sensitive electronic components. It also helps to minimize power loss and reduce the effects of voltage fluctuations on the circuit.

What are some common applications of a current source in series with a resistor?

A current source in series with a resistor is commonly used in electronic devices, such as amplifiers, sensors, and power supplies. It is also used in measurement and control systems, as well as in industrial and scientific equipment.