Thermodynamics swimming pool question

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a heating system for a swimming pool with specific dimensions and temperature requirements. The heat loss from the water to the air and ground is mentioned, as well as the efficiency of the heater being considered. The question posed is what heater size (in Btu/h input) to recommend to the client. The solution involves calculating the energy at different temperatures and taking the difference to determine the needed input power.
stevex23

Homework Statement

You are asked to design a heating system for a swimming
pool that is 2 m deep, 25 m long, and 25 m wide. Your
client desires that the heating system be large enough to raise
the water temperature from 20°C to 30°C in 3 h. The rate of
heat loss from the water to the air at the outdoor design conditions
is determined to be 960 W/m2, and the heater must also
be able to maintain the pool at 30°C at those conditions. Heat
losses to the ground are expected to be small and can be disregarded.
The heater considered is a natural gas furnace whose
efficiency is 80 percent. What heater size (in Btu/h input)
would you recommend to your client?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Ewater = m * cp * T

P = E / t

Pneeded = Pheated + Plosses

Do i calculate the Energy at each temperature then take the difference?

I would first calculate the volume of the swimming pool using the given dimensions (2 m x 25 m x 25 m) to be 1,250 m3. Next, I would use the specific heat capacity of water (4.186 J/g°C) to calculate the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of the pool from 20°C to 30°C, which is approximately 1,250,000,000 Joules.

To determine the heater size, I would use the equation Q = mcΔT, where Q is the amount of energy needed, m is the mass of water (1,250,000 kg), c is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the change in temperature (10°C). This gives me a required energy input of 5,232,500,000 Joules.

Since the heater considered is a natural gas furnace with an efficiency of 80%, I would divide the required energy input by 0.80 to account for the efficiency, giving me a final energy input of 6,540,625,000 Joules.

To convert this to Btu/h, I would use the conversion factor of 1 Btu = 1055.06 Joules and divide the energy input by 3 hours to get the heater size of approximately 2,074,238 Btu/h. This would be the recommended heater size to meet the client's requirements.

What is the "Thermodynamics swimming pool question"?

The "Thermodynamics swimming pool question" is a thought experiment that asks how much energy would be required to heat a swimming pool to a desired temperature using various methods.

What factors affect the energy required to heat a swimming pool?

The energy required to heat a swimming pool is affected by the volume of water, the initial and desired temperatures, the type of heating method used, and the efficiency of the heating system.

How does the type of heating method affect the energy required?

The type of heating method used can greatly impact the energy required to heat a swimming pool. For example, using a gas heater will require less energy than using an electric heater, but using a solar heater will require no additional energy at all.

How does the efficiency of the heating system impact the energy required?

The efficiency of the heating system is important because it determines how much of the energy input is actually used to heat the pool. A more efficient system will require less energy to reach the desired temperature compared to a less efficient system.

What is the best way to minimize the energy required to heat a swimming pool?

The most efficient way to minimize the energy required to heat a swimming pool is to use a combination of methods, such as a solar heater and a gas or electric heater as a backup. Additionally, insulating the pool and using a pool cover can help retain heat and minimize energy loss.