Hooke's Law and force constant

In summary: It is noted that the force constant for a spring is constant, hence it can be used for both problems.
Ogakor

Homework Statement

A force of 720 N stretches a certain spring a distance of 15 cm. What is its force constant? If a 60-kg mass is hung on it, how far will it stretch?

Solving for Force Constant
given:
F (Restoring Force) = 720 N
ΔL (spring's elongation) = 15 cm x (1 m / 100 cm) = 0.15 m
k (Force constant) = ?

k = F / ΔL
k = 720 N / 0.15 m
k = 4,800 N/m

Solving for spring's elongation if mass is 60kg
given:
m = 60 kg
g = 9.8 m/s2
F = ?
ΔL = ?
ΔL = F / k
since F = mg,
ΔL = mg / k
Im not really sure what k is because the mass change. If I'll use the k from the first question, this will be the outcome.
ΔL = (60kg)(9.8m/s2) / 4800 N/m

ΔL = 0.1225 m

My problem is ithat, I am not sure what k (Force constant) is (in the 2nd problem). I've solved it with the first problem but since the mass change, maybe force constant is not the same as the first question. And if k is not the same, there will be two unknowns.
What do you think? Am I going to use the k in the first question or am I going to use another solution? What solution should I use?
On the other hand, I think force is constant because of the name. Not really sure, I am a noob at physics.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The force constant for a spring is well...constant. So you did it correctly.

rock.freak667 said:
The force constant for a spring is well...constant. So you did it correctly.

thanks rock.freak

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a physical principle that states that the force required to stretch or compress an elastic material is directly proportional to the displacement or change in length of the material.

2. Who discovered Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law was discovered by British scientist Robert Hooke in the 17th century.

3. What is the force constant in Hooke's Law?

The force constant, also known as the spring constant, is a measure of the stiffness of an elastic material. It is represented by the symbol k and is measured in units of force per unit length, such as N/m or kg/s2.

4. How is Hooke's Law used in real-world applications?

Hooke's Law is used in various real-world applications, such as designing and testing springs, determining the elasticity of materials, and understanding the behavior of objects under stress or strain.

5. What is the mathematical formula for Hooke's Law?

The mathematical formula for Hooke's Law is F = -kx, where F is the force applied, k is the force constant, and x is the displacement or change in length of the material.