Twinkie Defense, Step Aside: Caffeine Defense

• Thread starter nismaratwork
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Caffeine
In summary, this particular defense is being offered in a court of law, and it is based on the idea that people who are intoxicated by caffeine or other stimulants may not be able to form clear thoughts or remember what they did. This could be a possible defense for some people, but it is not a defense for murder.
nismaratwork
Physics news on Phys.org
Pfft.. you know how many people died because I didn't get my morning coffee? :rolleyes:

Temporary insanity isn't a particularly new defense.

Hurkyl said:
Temporary insanity isn't a particularly new defense.

Heck, I've been using it for years.

This is rediculous. Please, jury, don't be stupid

Is is possible that some people could be susceptible to various drugs in this way - that sugar really can drive a few people in a mllion, to murder; for others, it's caffeine, and maybe MSG or peanuts for others?

Can allergies drive a person into a state of temporary insanity?

Oh please. Too much caffeine?

Ivan Seeking said:
Is it possible that some people could be susceptible to various drugs in this way - that sugar really can drive a few people in a mllion, to murder; for others, it's caffeine, and maybe MSG or peanuts for others?

I really hope you're kidding. If this was true many, many more people would be murdering.

DR13 said:
I really hope you're kidding. If this was true many, many more people would be murdering.
Maybe they are but they don't have a coniving lawyer drumming up a bogus defense for them.

DR13 said:

Not necessarily. I'm not saying such a thing is possible, but, if it is, then it might be a matter of circumstance - perhaps a trigger of some sort is needed, perhaps an emotional trigger. We would have to know if and how such a thing is possible in order to speculate on the specifics.

Beyond that, if it is possible, perhaps this could explain some percentage of existing convictions. We can't assume it doesn't happen in order to conclude that it can't.

Last edited:
From my point of view, a child's rage is a form of temporary insanity. I don't know the current thinking, but the last time I checked, feeding a kid sugar was considered a good way to trigger a problem.

Caffeine intoxication

Main symptoms of caffeine intoxication.[77]An acute overdose of caffeine usually in excess of about 300 milligrams, dependent on body weight and level of caffeine tolerance, can result in a state of central nervous system over-stimulation called caffeine intoxication (DSM-IV 305.90),[101

In cases of much larger overdoses, mania, depression, lapses in judgment, disorientation, disinhibition, delusions, hallucinations, and psychosis may occur, and rhabdomyolysis (breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue) can be provoked.[102][103]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine

Ivan Seeking said:
From my point of view, a child's rage is a form of temporary insanity. I don't know the current thinking, but the last time I checked, feeding a kid sugar was considered a good way to trigger a problem.
I've also seen studies where half of the children were given sugar and half were given a placebo, and the parents observed "sugar induced hyperactivity" in as many or more of the placebo fed children.

The children, parents and researchers involved in the studies never knew which children were given which diets (this is known as a "double-blind" study and helps to prevent unconscious biases from affecting the results).

An analysis of the results of all these studies was published in the November 22, 1995, issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association. The researchers' conclusions? Sugar in the diet did not affect the children's behavior.

http://edition.cnn.com/HEALTH/children/9911/22/diet.sugar.myth.kids.wmd/

Ivan Seeking said:
But the article also states that he'd need to ingest, in a relatively short timeframe
roughly 80 to 100 cups of coffee for an average adult taken within a limited time frame
If he indeed had an overdose this significant, he'd likely have ended up in the ER. I didn't read that he was actually tested to have had an overdose or that was treated medically. I'm wondering if there is another article that shows there is medical evidence that backs up this guy had such a an overdose at the time of the murder and that backs up his lawyer's claim?

There's a wrinkle in this story. Smith's lawyer initially wanted to rely on a temporary insanity plea (citing the high caffeine use), but now he is saying that Smith's confession is inadmissible because Smith was "out of it" due to sleep deprivation cause by caffeine use.

cronxeh said:
pfft.. You know how many people died because i didn't get my morning coffee? :rolleyes:

7 ?

caffeine itself, i'd say no. sleep deprivation could be a definite yes. modafinil can cause psychosis with no direct stimulation at all.

Proton Soup said:
caffeine itself, i'd say no. sleep deprivation could be a definite yes. modafinil can cause psychosis with no direct stimulation at all.

True, but so can methamphetamine or cocaine, and intoxication due to either isn't a defense for murder. One chooses to take a drug, be it caffeine or cocaine, and if that drives you to a psychotic state, you get to live with the consequences.

Anyway, I was pretty sure you folks would enjoy this one, I know it made me laugh out loud.

nismaratwork said:
True, but so can methamphetamine or cocaine, and intoxication due to either isn't a defense for murder. One chooses to take a drug, be it caffeine or cocaine, and if that drives you to a psychotic state, you get to live with the consequences.

Anyway, I was pretty sure you folks would enjoy this one, I know it made me laugh out loud.

it wouldn't surprise me if methamphetimine turns out to be the actual cause. it may be that caffeine is just a friendlier defense. meth became popular at one time because it allowed blue collar folks to work 2 or 3 jobs at once. but juries would not be sympathetic to meth use. meth = bad. caffeine = good, good people use caffeine. so the argument becomes this is a good guy trying to do well for himself, and then something unfortunate happens.

Proton Soup said:
it wouldn't surprise me if methamphetimine turns out to be the actual cause. it may be that caffeine is just a friendlier defense. meth became popular at one time because it allowed blue collar folks to work 2 or 3 jobs at once. but juries would not be sympathetic to meth use. meth = bad. caffeine = good, good people use caffeine. so the argument becomes this is a good guy trying to do well for himself, and then something unfortunate happens.

Now THAT, I can believe.

1. What is the "Twinkie Defense, Step Aside: Caffeine Defense"?

The "Twinkie Defense, Step Aside: Caffeine Defense" is a term used to describe a legal defense strategy where the defendant claims that their actions were influenced by excessive caffeine consumption, rather than their own volition or mental state.

2. Is the "Twinkie Defense, Step Aside: Caffeine Defense" a valid defense in court?

No, the "Twinkie Defense, Step Aside: Caffeine Defense" has not been recognized as a valid defense in court. While caffeine can have an impact on one's behavior and mental state, it is not considered a strong enough influence to negate responsibility for one's actions.

3. What is the history behind the "Twinkie Defense, Step Aside: Caffeine Defense"?

The term "Twinkie Defense" originated from the infamous 1979 trial of Dan White, who murdered San Francisco Mayor George Moscone and Supervisor Harvey Milk. White's lawyers argued that his excessive consumption of sugary foods, including Twinkies, contributed to his mental state at the time of the murders. However, the jury ultimately found White guilty of voluntary manslaughter instead of murder.

4. Can caffeine consumption really affect one's behavior and mental state?

Yes, caffeine is a stimulant that can increase alertness and energy levels, and also impact mood and behavior. Consuming excessive amounts of caffeine can lead to restlessness, irritability, and even anxiety or panic attacks.

5. Are there any other cases where the "Twinkie Defense, Step Aside: Caffeine Defense" has been used?

There have been a few other cases where the "Twinkie Defense, Step Aside: Caffeine Defense" has been mentioned, such as the 2013 murder trial of a man who claimed to have been under the influence of energy drinks at the time of the crime. However, this defense has not been successfully used in any other notable cases.