Nuclear fusion and the end of energy problems claim

In summary: High current, low voltage.According to Wikipedia, the ITER tokamak is designed to produce......high current, low voltage. This is in contrast to current fusion reactor designs, which require high voltage and high current to start the fusion reaction. ITER is also designed to be more efficient, lasting longer, and have a higher chance of success.
Villhelm
Nuclear fusion and the "end of energy problems" claim

Hi,

Is it me, or does the following claim seem naive?

"If we can achieve fusion here on earth, then the world's energy problem will be solved."

As I understand it, our energy problems are more to do with greed and waste than because there's simply not enough "renewable" sources, so would not our "needs" simply grow to encompass what's made available (much as they have with many other resources)?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Nuclear fission power provides mostly the same benefits as nuclear fusion would - practically unlimited, cheap fuel with no pollution. Our energy problems are purely political.

QuantumPion said:
Nuclear fission power provides mostly the same benefits as nuclear fusion would - practically unlimited, cheap fuel with no pollution. Our energy problems are purely political.

There are two major flaws in your picture. Nuclear waste just keeps accumulating and power plants ultimately have to be decommissioned.

mathman said:
There are two major flaws in your picture. Nuclear waste just keeps accumulating and power plants ultimately have to be decommissioned.

Nuclear waste is only accumulating in the U.S. due to political decision to ban reprocessing.

I'm not sure what your point is regarding the decommissioning comment. Nuclear plants can and have been "green-fielded".

Snag with fission plants is that a lot of the decommissioned material will stay 'hot' for geological times. Been suggested that neutron activation would speed up the process...

Villhelm said:
Is it me, or does the following claim seem naive?

"If we can achieve fusion here on earth, then the world's energy problem will be solved."

As I understand it, our energy problems are more to do with greed and waste than because there's simply not enough "renewable" sources, so would not our "needs" simply grow to encompass what's made available (much as they have with many other resources)?
That's really not a nuclear power question, but an energy use question. If we get cheap, renewable or nearly limitless energy for electric power, our usage will certainly grow. But how much? Economics will certainly take over and moderate our usage to limit wastefulness somewhat, but certainly a developed nation like the US could find a way to double or triple its electricity usage...

...But can it increase enough to turn an essentially limitless resource like fission or fusion fuel into a limited resource? Unlikely. We'd need our power usage to grow by an order of magnitude or two for fission fuel to be a concern within the next few hundred years and there is substantially more fusion fuel available.

Nik_2213 said:
Snag with fission plants is that a lot of the decommissioned material will stay 'hot' for geological times.
So what?

Currently the cheapest energy source is coal.You would need to have something really cheap
to beat it.Nuclear fusion is not going to be extremely cheap at least because of radioactivity management problems.
Some researches promise relitively unexpensive fusion plants with fast ignition laser approach.
But it still requires lot of development.

"Snag with fission plants is that a lot of the decommissioned material will stay 'hot' for geological times."

But what are the real-term health impacts of spent nuclear fuel with / without reprocessing as opposed to current non-nuclear power generation waste?

Villhelm said:
But what are the real-term health impacts of spent nuclear fuel with / without reprocessing as opposed to current non-nuclear power generation waste?
That's a rather vague question. One has to consider how spent nuclear fuel is handled/stored/transported and ultimately diposed of. Then consider the same for reprocessed spent fuel, and coal, oil, natural gas, wind, solar, hydroelectric, . . . .

One has to consider the dispostion of waste streams in all cases, and consider the consequences to public health as a result of exposure to the waste streams.

For example, coal ash, which contains heavy metals accumulates at many power plant sites. What is the health consequences of exposure to heavy metals? Are people being exposed to coal waste - either at the plant or at or near the mine.

What are the health consequences for exposure to waste from oil?

. . . .

This thread is drifting off topic, and it's not really about nuclear energy as much as it is about energy policy and the impact of the waste or by-products of energy production.

When I look at the fusion reactor designs, it says that it take 5 million amps to create fusion. It would take several nuclear power plants to even power the fusion reactor. I deem it unreliable.

Kalrag said:
When I look at the fusion reactor designs, it says that it take 5 million amps to create fusion. It would take several nuclear power plants to even power the fusion reactor. I deem it unreliable.
What is the basis of one's declaration. I suggest one do the calculations.

High current, low voltage.

According to Wikipedia, the ITER tokamak is designed to produce 500 MW of output power with 50 MW of input power. I imagine that the various equipment consuming that input power operates at a voltage higher than 10 V.

As a little aside, since there have been two fusion-bashing threads lately:

It makes one wonder - why are the people whom are typically in favor of policies such as eliminating carbon dioxide emissions and subsidizing solar and wind power so opposed to fusion power research? You would think they would be all in favor of an energy technology that has the potential to completely replace all conventional power generation sources with no radioactive byproducts. I often hear claims that the research should be abandoned because "it won't work" or "it's too expensive", yet these same people go on to proclaim that solar and wind power are the future and should receive heavy government subsidies. /rant

QuantumPion said:
According to Wikipedia, the ITER tokamak is designed to produce 500 MW of output power with 50 MW of input power.[...]
Yes, for 8 minutes.
As a little aside, since there have been two fusion-bashing threads lately:

It makes one wonder - why are the people whom are typically in favor of policies such as eliminating carbon dioxide emissions and subsidizing solar and wind power so opposed to fusion power research? You would think they would be all in favor of an energy technology that has the potential to completely replace all conventional power generation sources with no radioactive byproducts. I often hear claims that the research should be abandoned because "it won't work" or "it's too expensive", yet these same people go on to proclaim that solar and wind power are the future and should receive heavy government subsidies. /rant
'Fusion power research' includes many different approaches and magnetic containment Tokamaks (i.e. ITER) are only one of them. As it happens I fall on the side of continuing ITER research, but just barely. I'm skeptical for several reasons: 1) We don't know technically if ITER will work at all - the history of containment fusion is strewn with numerous plasma instability surprises and there may very well be more to come. 2) We don't know that ITER will ever be commercially viable even it produces 10:1 continuously. http://www.askmar.com/Robert%20Bussard/The%20Trouble%20With%20Fusion.pdf" , predicting that the neutron flux would forever (or nearly) make the containment vessel maintenance uneconomic, and that a plant would only come in one size - gigantic, risky for investors. By contrast, we _know_ the current technical performance of solar and wind, know that they work at least within the bounds of their variability issues. We know what they cost even if expensive (solar), and we know that the cost continues to fall over time per joule rendered.

Last edited by a moderator:

mheslep said:
Yes, for 8 minutes.
'Fusion power research' includes many different approaches and magnetic containment Tokamaks (i.e. ITER) are only one of them. As it happens I fall on the side of continuing ITER research, but just barely. I'm skeptical for several reasons: 1) We don't know technically if ITER will work at all - the history of containment fusion is strewn with numerous plasma instability surprises and there may very well be more to come. 2) We don't know that ITER will ever be commercially viable even it produces 10:1 continuously. http://www.askmar.com/Robert%20Bussard/The%20Trouble%20With%20Fusion.pdf" , predicting that the neutron flux would forever (or nearly) make the containment vessel maintenance uneconomic, and that a plant would only come in one size - gigantic, risky for investors. By contrast, we _know_ the current technical performance of solar and wind, know that they work at least within the bounds of their variability issues. We know what they cost even if expensive (solar), and we know that the cost continues to fall per joule rendered.

Fair enough. My point of view is that considering how much money governments spend on other projects and social policies, a few billion over a decade is a paltry amount considering the possible benefits.

Last edited by a moderator:

QuantumPion said:
two fusion-bashing threads lately:

I don't really qualify as "apposed to fusion power research", but the issue is that you're comparing things that aren't equivalent. Funding for fusion research is just that - funding for research. Funding for a wind plant results in an actual power plant being built. So they can't really be compared as if the dollars spent are for the same purpose. If you can only do one and not the other, the one you do has to be the constructing of power plants now.

Fusion should certainly be researched because of the tantalizing possibilities that it holds, but it really is just like buying an expensive lottery ticket with an unknown (and possibly nonexistant) chance of winning. But because even if you win with funding today, it won't pay out for a couple of decades, you still need to be doing things now to provide clean and preferably renewable electricity for those couple of decades, otherwise current problems will get a lot worse while we wait for the drawing to see if we won.

Baah some times humanity have to touch its! Ba·$%$%$& and give it a try, we are not wussies.

QuantumPion said:
...You would think they would be all in favor of an energy technology that has the potential to completely replace all conventional power generation sources with no radioactive byproducts. I often hear claims that the research should be abandoned because "it won't work" or "it's too expensive", yet these same people go on to proclaim that solar and wind power are the future and should receive heavy government subsidies. /rant

If you look at some of the blogs/sites where energy policy etc. is discussed, it won't be long before you see the posts from people who believe that more energy production would be 'bad' and the cheaper any technology for producing power, the 'worse' the technology will be in the long run. I can't follow their reasoning, but I think it comes down to: 'look how messed up the world is with the power we're producing now.' Back to nature, blah blah bla

The benefits and drawbacks of fusion power generation are being exaggerated by both sides to some degree. (Not in this thread, but in general) Part of the problem is that we have no way of seeing into the future to see how long a reactor can last under neutron flux, or how efficient our reactors will be, and various other questions. IF we can get fusion power up and running, and IF it is cleaner, cheaper, and with more abundant fuel than anything else, it COULD drastically alter many things. It is NOT the end all be all of technology, nor will it solve every problem known to man, or even come close. It looks like it has the potential to provide massive amounts of power with a very abundant fuel source, but until it happens we won't know for sure just how beneficial it will be.

1. How does nuclear fusion work?

Nuclear fusion is the process of combining two or more atomic nuclei to form a heavier nucleus. This process releases a large amount of energy in the form of heat and light. In order for fusion to occur, the nuclei must overcome their natural repulsion and come close enough together for the strong nuclear force to bind them together.

2. Is nuclear fusion a viable solution to our energy problems?

Many scientists believe that nuclear fusion has the potential to be a long-term, sustainable source of energy. However, it is still in the early stages of development and there are technical challenges that need to be overcome before it can be used on a large scale.

3. What are the advantages of using nuclear fusion for energy production?

Nuclear fusion has several advantages over other forms of energy production, including the fact that it is a virtually limitless source of energy, produces no greenhouse gas emissions, and does not generate long-lived radioactive waste.

4. What are the potential risks and drawbacks of nuclear fusion?

One of the main risks of nuclear fusion is the potential for accidents, such as a runaway reaction or a breach of the containment vessel. Additionally, the development of fusion technology is expensive and may take decades to become commercially viable.

5. When do scientists predict that nuclear fusion could become a reality?

While there is no definite timeline, many experts estimate that it could take another 20-30 years for nuclear fusion to be developed and implemented on a large scale. However, this timeline could change depending on advancements in technology and funding for research and development.