Force in relation to angular momentum

In summary, the problem involves a student sitting on a spinning stool with 2kg dumbbells in each hand. The student's arms are initially stretched out with a radius of 80cm and an angular velocity of 3rad/sec. The student then pulls in their arms to a radius of 20cm. The student's weight is ignored in this problem. From previous problems, it is known that the initial angular velocity is 3rad/sec and the final angular velocity is 48rad/sec. The initial kinetic energy is 11.52J and the final kinetic energy is 184.32J. The task is to find the force required to pull one of the dumbbells in at a constant speed using the equation
valvan1
so a student is sitting on a spinning stool and has a 2kg dumbbell in each hand angular velocity is 3rad/sec arms stretched out is a radius of 80cm and he pulls in his arms to 20cm. for this problem your ignoring the students weight.

from other problems i have figured out
so angular velocity to start with is 3 rad/sec
angular velocity final is 48 rad/sec

kinetic energy initial is 11.52( don't know what dimensions this is I am guessing J)
kinetic energy final is 184.32

and i need to find the force required to pull on of the dumbells in at a constant speed is equal to F=((initial angular momentum of 1 block)^2)/(4*Mass of one weight*Radius^3)) or do i use the change in kinetic energy equation ?

do i say Torque=F*d and Torque=I*alpha and then go Force = Ia/d? or is there another way to solve this that I am not seeing ?

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry i posted it again in the homework section so you can delete this one, sorry about that

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotation of an object around a fixed point. It is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to change in rotation) by the angular velocity (the rate at which the object rotates).

2. How is force related to angular momentum?

Force is directly related to the change in angular momentum of an object. This means that when a force is applied to an object, it will either increase or decrease its angular momentum depending on the direction of the force.

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental principle in physics which states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that if no external forces act on the system, the total angular momentum will remain the same.

4. How does torque affect angular momentum?

Torque, which is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate, is directly proportional to the change in angular momentum. This means that a greater torque will result in a greater change in angular momentum.

5. Can angular momentum be negative?

Yes, angular momentum can be negative. This occurs when an object's angular velocity and its moment of inertia have opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for angular momentum. This does not mean that the object is rotating in the opposite direction, but rather that its angular momentum is in the opposite direction to its angular velocity.