What Concentrations of KH2PO4 and Na2HPO4 are Needed to Make a pH 7.00 Buffer?

• Thread starter Gata
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Salt
In summary: For the KOH titration, the equivalence point will be the point at which the KOH solution has a pH equal to the acetic acid solution's pH.
Gata
can someone please help me with this problem, its giving me lots of trouble to solve :

(a) Suppose you wanted to make a buffer of exactly ph 7.00 using KH2PO4 and Na2HPO4. If you had a solution of 0.1M KH2PO4, what concentration of Na2HPO4 would you need?

(b)Now assume you wish to make a buffer at the same ph, using the same substances, but want the total phosphate molarity (HPO42-) + (H2PO4-) to equal 0.3 What concentrations of KH2PO4 and Na2HPO4 would you use?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far ? What ideas do you have ?

Tell us what you've tried and we'll guide you the rest of the way. :smile:

i tried the henderson/hasselbalch equation :
the salt : Na2hpo4
the acid :kh2po4
ph= 7.0
pka ? not sure
not sure how to proceed on the second part or how to finish the first part

If you want to find pH, then you should use pKa of the acid in Henderson-Hasselbach equation.
In your second question, you don't know the molar ratio of conjugate base to acid. The rest is known, just find it.

question

its been said that the pka of strong bases are so close to 1 they ( the pka ) can be ignored.

Is this true ?

Yes that's correct, but it is invalid for this question, as phosphate species other than ortho-phosphoric acid (H3PO4) need pKa values. If you were not given that data, it is nearly not possible to solve the H-H equation. Please find the pKa values for them, and solve this question. It is not that difficult. But when you think you're lost, keep asking.

thanks

i have already solved the problem i was just asking a general question
thanks chem_tr

new question

I was given this lab problem calc the ph values and draw the titration curve for the titration of 500ml of 0.010m acetic acid (pka 4.76) with .010m KOH.
I have to give two points the starting ph and the equivalence point.

I found the equivalence point to be the pka ( where ph=pka ).
I know i have to calc the second point using the KA I am just not sure how to plot the x-axis and y-axis

for the y-axis i know i have to plot ph
but for the x-axis is it KOH (eq ) or what ?
im not sure
can someone help me with this one ?

Well, the starting pH will be the pH of the acetic acid solution with no KOH added, I am sure you are not asking this. What you're asking instead is simple, too; just plot the curve between titer (mL of KOH solution) and pH, on x and y axis, respectively.

1. How do you measure salt concentrations?

Salt concentrations can be measured using a variety of methods such as titration, spectrophotometry, and conductivity. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, so it is important to choose the most appropriate method for your specific needs.

2. What units are used to express salt concentrations?

Salt concentrations can be expressed in various units such as parts per million (ppm), milligrams per liter (mg/L), and percentage (%). It is important to specify the unit when reporting salt concentrations to avoid confusion.

3. How do you prepare a standard solution for measuring salt concentrations?

A standard solution can be prepared by accurately weighing a known amount of salt and dissolving it in a known volume of water. This solution can then be used to calibrate the instrument or to compare the results of your sample measurements.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of salt concentration measurements?

The accuracy of salt concentration measurements can be affected by factors such as temperature, pH, and the presence of other substances in the sample. It is important to control these factors and perform proper calibration to ensure accurate results.

5. How can salt concentrations be converted between different units?

To convert salt concentrations between different units, you can use conversion factors or online calculators. It is important to double check your calculations and specify the unit when reporting the results to avoid errors.