Calculating Maximum Bending Stress for a Beam - I'm Doing it Wrong!

In summary, the maximum bending moment should be 12.04 kNm, but the student's calculations using the parallel axis theorem resulted in a value of 37.9 MPa.
songtoan92
bending stress in beam, help me !

Homework Statement

untitled-1.jpg

Homework Equations

singularity function

bending stress (max) = { (M max)/I } * ( a/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

after writing the singularity function, and compute reactions force I found that the maximum bending moment should be 12.04 kNm

I = 1/12 ( 0.1 * 0.14 ^ 3 - 2 * 0.06 * 0.04 ^ 3 ) (m ^ 4)

y/2 = 0.14 /2 = 0.07 m

therefore, the maximum bending stress is ~ 37.9 MPa

but this is totally wrong :( :(, can anyone help with

thank you very much

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi songtoan92, welcome to PF. Your maximum bending moment looks fine. Make sure to use the parallel axis theorem when subtracting the moment of inertia of the missing areas of the cross-section, though, since they're not centered on the centroid of the beam. Know what I mean?

Mapes said:
Hi songtoan92, welcome to PF. Your maximum bending moment looks fine. Make sure to use the parallel axis theorem when subtracting the moment of inertia of the missing areas of the cross-section, though, since they're not centered on the centroid of the beam. Know what I mean?

Can you explain me more ?? I am a little bit confused now
Personally , I think , " I " is the 2nd moment of area, so considering the " H " cross-section of the beam I got I =... I think it does not a matter of moment of parallel axis theorem here ?

Moment of inertia is another common name for second moment of area.
In any case, your calculation of I involves subtracting two areas of 60 mm x 40 mm. But the second moment of area of these regions is not simply [itex]wh^3/12[/itex] because their centroids do not coincide with the centroid of the beam. Rather, their centroids are 50 mm away from the beam centroid. So I is calculated as [itex]I=wh^3/12+whr^2[/itex], where [itex]r=50\,\mathrm{mm}[/itex]. (This is called the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_axis_theorem" .) Try this and see if you get the answer you're expecting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mapes said:
Moment of inertia is another common name for second moment of area.
In any case, your calculation of I involves subtracting two areas of 60 mm x 40 mm. But the second moment of area of these regions is not simply [itex]wh^3/12[/itex] because their centroids do not coincide with the centroid of the beam. Rather, their centroids are 50 mm away from the beam centroid. So I is calculated as [itex]I=wh^3/12+whr^2[/itex], where [itex]r=50\,\mathrm{mm}[/itex]. (This is called the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_axis_theorem" .) Try this and see if you get the answer you're expecting.

So,...

I1 (of the outer rectangular) = 1 / 12 * 0.1 * 0.14 ^ 3 + 0.1 * 0.14 * 0.05 ^ 2
I2 (of the inner rectangular) = 1 / 12 * 0.06 * 0.04 ^ 3 + 0.04 * 0.06 * 0.05 ^ 2

and the I final = I1 - 2I2 ~ 4.5 * 10E-05

is that right ??

Last edited by a moderator:

You don't need to use [itex]r=50\,\mathrm{mm}[/itex] for the large rectangle. Its centroid coincides with the beam centroid.

Mapes said:
You don't need to use [itex]r=50\,\mathrm{mm}[/itex] for the large rectangle. Its centroid coincides with the beam centroid.

I 've got it, thank you for your help :D

1. What is bending stress in a beam?

Bending stress in a beam is a type of stress that occurs when a beam is subjected to a load or force that causes it to bend or deform. It is a measure of the internal forces within a beam that resist the bending.

2. How is bending stress calculated?

Bending stress can be calculated using the formula sigma = M*c/I, where sigma is the bending stress, M is the bending moment, c is the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost fiber, and I is the moment of inertia of the beam's cross-sectional area.

3. What factors affect bending stress in a beam?

The amount of bending stress in a beam is affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the applied load, the shape and size of the beam, and the material properties of the beam such as its cross-sectional area and modulus of elasticity.

4. How does bending stress impact the strength of a beam?

Bending stress can cause a beam to deform or fail if the stress exceeds the maximum stress that the beam can withstand. This can lead to permanent deformation or even structural failure of the beam.

5. How can bending stress in a beam be minimized?

Bending stress in a beam can be minimized by using a beam with a larger cross-sectional area, selecting a material with a higher modulus of elasticity, or distributing the load evenly along the beam's length. Proper design and reinforcement techniques can also help to reduce bending stress in beams.