The Last Kodachrome - Dwayne's Photo, Parsons KS

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, Dwayne's Photo in Parsons, Kansas, processed the last roll of Kodachrome slide film on January 18, 2011. The last frame in the picture is a group portrait of the company's employees, wearing T-shirts to commemorate the occasion.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The last roll of Kodachrome slide film emerged from the processor at Dwayne's Photo in Parsons, Kansas, at 1:36 PM Central Time on January 18, 2011. It was shot by Dwayne Steinle, the company's owner, and the last frame is a group portrait of the company's employees, wearing T-shirts to commemorate the occasion. I haven't found this picture on the Web yet, but it appears in the April 2011 issue of Railfan & Railroad magazine, which I received in the mail today.

Dwayne's had stopped accepting Kodachrome for processing on December 31, but so much film was sent in during December (30,000 rolls of 35mm film, 4,000 rolls of Super 8 movie film, and 60,000 feet of 16mm movie film) that it took nearly three weeks to process the backlog.

None of my pictures were in that backlog. I shot my last roll of film about eight years ago.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I hope the t-shirts were colorful.

Wow, I to loved Kodachromes rich greens, even at 25 ASA. I gave into high speed Ektachrome (160ASA?) when I was diving in Cuba, I really needed the speed unfortunately Ektachrome seemed to enhance blues, underwater was already blue rich, oh well. You do what you have to.

I didn't plan on going back to slides real soon any way, guess it is definite now.

lisab said:
I hope the t-shirts were colorful.

tshirt-500px-2.jpg

tshirt-500px-1.jpg

You can order one from Dwayne's while they're still available.

I think the last time I used Kodachrome (or slide film in general) was around 1995. After that I switched to negative film because it was so much more convenient to pass around prints than to haul out the slide projector. Then when I started scanning pictures for my Web site, I discovered that it's a lot easier to get good scans from negatives than from slides, provided your scanning software can do the color-inversion step properly.

Last edited:

I find this news about the last roll of Kodachrome film to be both fascinating and bittersweet. Kodachrome film has a rich history in the world of photography, known for its vibrant colors and archival quality. It's a shame to see it come to an end, but it's a testament to the ever-evolving nature of technology and the shift towards digital photography.

The fact that Dwayne's Photo was able to process such a large backlog of film in just a few weeks is impressive and speaks to their dedication and expertise in the field. It's also interesting to note that the last roll was shot by the company's owner, adding a personal touch to the occasion.

I am also intrigued by the fact that this group portrait has not been found on the internet yet, but appears in a magazine. It shows the importance of print media and the impact it can have in preserving and sharing important moments in history.

As for my own experience with film, I can relate to the author's sentiment of not having any of their own photos in the backlog. It's a reminder of how quickly technology can change and how important it is to adapt and embrace new methods.

In conclusion, the last roll of Kodachrome film at Dwayne's Photo marks the end of an era in photography. It's a reminder of the advancements in technology and the importance of preserving and documenting our past.

1. What is the significance of "The Last Kodachrome"?

"The Last Kodachrome" refers to the last roll of Kodachrome film to be developed at Dwayne's Photo in Parsons, Kansas. Kodachrome was the first commercially successful color film and was widely used by photographers and filmmakers for its vibrant colors and archival qualities. Its discontinuation in 2009 marked the end of an era in the history of photography.

2. Why was Dwayne's Photo chosen to develop the last roll of Kodachrome?

Dwayne's Photo was chosen because it was the only remaining laboratory in the world that had the necessary equipment to develop Kodachrome film. As the popularity of digital photography increased, most labs had stopped offering the service, but Dwayne's Photo continued to process Kodachrome for its loyal customers.

3. When was the last roll of Kodachrome developed at Dwayne's Photo?

The last roll of Kodachrome was developed on December 30, 2010. The roll was shot by photographer Steve McCurry, famous for his iconic "Afghan Girl" photograph, and was processed by Dwayne's Photo owner, Dwayne Steinle.

4. Is it possible to still buy Kodachrome film?

No, Kodachrome film is no longer being produced. The last roll was manufactured in 2009 and was sold out by 2010. Any remaining rolls of Kodachrome are now considered collector's items and can be quite expensive.

5. What is the future of film photography after Kodachrome's discontinuation?

Although the discontinuation of Kodachrome marked the end of an era, film photography is still alive and well. Many photographers still prefer the unique qualities and tactile experience of shooting with film. There are also companies that continue to produce and sell various types of film, offering a range of options for photographers. While digital photography has become the norm, film photography remains a beloved art form and is likely to continue to have a dedicated following.

Back