Mental Math: Books to Help You Calculate Quicker

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Random
In summary, there is a book called "Rapid Math Tricks and Tips" by Edward Julius that teaches mental math skills and has helped many people improve their speed and efficiency in calculations. Many readers have found the book to be useful and continue to use the techniques in their daily lives. However, some also suggest that practicing calculations is also helpful in developing mental math skills.
Miike012

Homework Statement

I am really tired of useing a calculator for small calculations. Are there any books out there that teach you how to mentally calculate quicker?
This would save me time on tests and make things more efficient so if there are any books please let me know. thank you.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:

Homework Statement

I am really tired of useing a calculator for small calculations. Are there any books out there that teach you how to mentally calculate quicker?
This would save me time on tests and make things more efficient so if there are any books please let me know. thank you.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really enjoyed this book:

"Rapid Math Tricks and Tips", by Edward Julius https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471575631/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Years after reading it, I still use several of the tricks almost daily.

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
I really enjoyed this book:

"Rapid Math Tricks and Tips", by Edward Julius https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471575631/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Years after reading it, I still use several of the tricks almost daily.

I used that one as well, although I think that it was a later version because the book was yellow. I also found it useful, but a large proportion of my mental math skills came from practice calculating things. You start to recognize patterns after a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great!.. Thanks a lot I will check it out.

1. How can mental math books help improve my calculation skills?

Mental math books provide various techniques and methods for performing calculations quickly and accurately without the use of a calculator. These books help improve mental math skills by providing practice problems, tips, and strategies.

2. Are there any specific mental math books recommended for beginners?

Yes, there are several popular mental math books for beginners such as "Secrets of Mental Math" by Arthur Benjamin and Michael Shermer and "Mental Math for Pilots" by Ronald D. McElroy. These books provide a good foundation for mastering mental math skills.

3. Can mental math books benefit students in school?

Yes, mental math books can be beneficial for students in school as they can help improve their calculation skills, leading to better performance in math exams. Mental math also helps students become more confident and efficient in solving problems.

4. Are there any mental math books specifically designed for adults?

Yes, there are mental math books geared towards adults such as "The Trachtenberg Speed System of Basic Mathematics" by Jakow Trachtenberg and "Math Magic for Your Kids" by Scott Flansburg. These books use a fun and engaging approach to teach mental math skills to adults.

5. Can reading mental math books replace practicing mental math regularly?

No, reading mental math books alone will not improve your skills. It is important to regularly practice mental math techniques and strategies to see an improvement in your calculation speed and accuracy. These books serve as a guide and supplement to your practice.