What is the specific heat of seawater?

In summary, the specific heat of seawater is defined as about 3850 J/(kg C) at 0 degrees Celsius and 20 degrees Celsius. The units for specific heat can be either J/(kg K) or J/(kg Degree C), which are equivalent. The reason Celsius is used may be because it is more common.
lucy12h
I'm confused about what units are used, and what the specific heat of seawater is defined at?

I found a website quoting, 'specific heat is about 3850 J/(kg C)'

Is this correct, with these units?

Science news on Phys.org
Thanks for the link..

What I am confused about is where it says ... at 0degrees celcius.. and then the units are J/Kg/K..

So why does it use kelvin if its talking about celcius?

A change of temperature of 1 degree celsius is equivalent to a change of 1 kelvin, so where an equation cpnsiders a change in temperature, the two units are interchangable.

Although the units of Celcius and Kelvin are interchangeable for specific heat capacity it is generally good practise,in that it makes certain problems easier,to use Kelvin when dealing with heat and thermodynamics.

Thank you , AZ for the link, I didn't know K&L was available online.

Now any takers to create a space in my library?

lucy12h said:
Thanks for the link..

What I am confused about is where it says ... at 0degrees celcius.. and then the units are J/Kg/K..

So why does it use kelvin if its talking about celcius?

They two units for temperature are used for two different things. As you can see from the table, the specific heat depends on temperature. They give the value for two different temperatures: 0 and 20 degrees Celsius. The reason they use Celsius may be that is more common, I suppose.
The unit for specific heat can be either J/(kg K) or J/(kg Degree C). They are equivalent.

thanks everyone, i understand now.

1. What is specific heat?

Specific heat is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of one unit mass of a substance by one degree Celsius.

2. Why is the specific heat of seawater important?

The specific heat of seawater is important because it affects the Earth's climate and weather patterns. It also plays a crucial role in oceanic and atmospheric circulation.

3. What is the specific heat of pure water compared to seawater?

The specific heat of pure water is 4.186 joules per gram per degree Celsius, while the specific heat of seawater is slightly higher at around 4.2 joules per gram per degree Celsius.

4. How does the specific heat of seawater vary with temperature?

The specific heat of seawater decreases with increasing temperature. This means that it takes less energy to raise the temperature of warm seawater compared to cold seawater.

5. How is the specific heat of seawater measured?

The specific heat of seawater is typically measured in a laboratory setting using a calorimeter. This device measures the amount of energy required to heat a known mass of seawater by a certain temperature. The specific heat is then calculated using this data.