Pressure drop in pipe due to bends and/or pressure reducing valves ?

In summary, the speaker is seeking answers to questions about their final year project, which involves reducing pressure from 140-150 bars to 2 bars in a copper or copper alloy pipe using nitrogen gas. They are considering using bends in the pipe or a pressure reducing valve, and are looking for information on the calculations involved. They are also open to other options, such as a back pressure regulator, if cost is not a concern.
AKapoor
I am currently doing my final year project and have a few queries. I would be really grateful if someone could answer the following questions for me as soon as possible.
• The requirement is to drop the pressure from 140-150 bars at the inlet of a pipe to 2 bars at the outlet of the pipe.
• The pressure of 2 bars is to be maintained at the outlet of pipe.
• The pipe length is 1-2 metres long.
• Pipe is made of copper or a copper alloy.
• The pressurized gas used is Nitrogen.
• The pipe diameter is not fixed yet and can be varied (but is to be kept as small as possible).

Please answer the following questions for me:
• Can the pressure drop be achieved using only bends in the pipe?
• Would using a pressure reducing valve be a better option?
• Or should both of the above options be considered?
• For any option chosen please let me know the calculations involved. The unknown variables can be assumed over a standard range.

Thanking you,

Anshuman

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you have enough money in the project, a "back pressure regulator" is your best choice.

Fisher and Jordan make industrial strength regulators. You may be able to find something cheaper if you need.

1. What is pressure drop in a pipe?

Pressure drop in a pipe refers to the decrease in pressure as a fluid flows through a pipe. It is caused by factors such as friction, bends, and pressure reducing valves.

2. How does the presence of bends affect pressure drop in a pipe?

Bends in a pipe create turbulence and increase the resistance to flow, resulting in a higher pressure drop. The amount of pressure drop depends on the sharpness of the bend and the diameter of the pipe.

3. What is the role of pressure reducing valves in pressure drop?

Pressure reducing valves are used to regulate the pressure of a fluid in a pipe. They can cause pressure drop if they are set to reduce the pressure below the incoming pressure. However, they can also help to reduce pressure drop by maintaining a consistent pressure throughout the pipe.

4. How can pressure drop in a pipe be calculated?

Pressure drop in a pipe can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account factors such as fluid velocity, pipe length, and pipe roughness. There are also online calculators and software programs available for more accurate calculations.

5. Are there ways to reduce pressure drop in a pipe?

Yes, there are several ways to reduce pressure drop in a pipe. These include using larger diameter pipes, minimizing bends, using smoother pipes, and adjusting pressure reducing valves to maintain a consistent pressure. Proper maintenance and regular cleaning of pipes can also help to reduce pressure drop.