What causes pH to decrease during fermentation?

In summary, the pH of wine decreased during fermentation due to the production of ethanal and carbon dioxide.
Orlando
I was making some wine recently for my undergraduate biochemistry course and i have to explain why the pH of the wine decreased during fermentation. I am genuinely at a loss; what is responsible for this decrease in pH?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What are fermentation products?

The fermentation process produces ethanal and carbon dioxide and the ethanal reacts with H+ to form ethanol. I thought that the production of carbon dioxide could have been responsible because it would disolve to form carbonic acid, but it requires an H+ ion to form so there would be no net gain in H+ concentration. So I am a bit confused as to why the pH does decrease, or at least did so in my experiment and should not have.

Ethanal plus H+ doesn't give ethanol, at least not directly and there must be other reactants/products (try to write a balanced reaction equation and you will there is a problem with charge balancing).

Carbonic acid doesn't require H+ to form, again - try to write reaction equation.

There are other compounds involved, ethanal + H(+) + NADH -> ethanol + NAD(+) where NAD is some really complicated compound. CO2 is produced by the reaction: pyruvate + H(+) -> ethanal + CO2 so the evolution of CO2, and therefore the carbonic acid, requires H(+) ions doesn't it?

Do you have any ideas about what else could cause the decrease in pH? I know it is quite a general question but I was hoping someone might know a lot about fermentation off the top of their heads. I thought perhaps some of the ethanal that did not react to form ethanol might form ethanoic acid, but I added a lot of sulfur dioxide to the wine samples which should bind with any unreacted ethanal to stop this from happening. I can't really think of any other way of explaining the decrease in pH though.

Does this need to be so technical? Microbial waste products contain acidic substances.

What type of microbial waste product?

1. What is pH and why is it important in fermentation?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution, and it is important in fermentation because it affects the activity of enzymes and microorganisms involved in the process. Different pH levels can also impact the taste, aroma, and texture of the final product.

2. What causes the pH to decrease during fermentation?

The decrease in pH during fermentation is primarily due to the production of organic acids by microorganisms. These acids are formed as byproducts of the metabolic processes of yeast and bacteria, and they lower the pH of the solution.

3. How does the type of microorganism used in fermentation affect the pH?

The type of microorganism used in fermentation can greatly affect the pH. For example, yeast produces mainly ethanol and carbon dioxide during fermentation, which results in a decrease in pH. On the other hand, certain bacteria can produce lactic acid, which can further decrease the pH.

4. Can temperature also impact the pH during fermentation?

Yes, temperature can also affect the pH during fermentation. As the temperature increases, the rate of fermentation also increases, leading to a faster production of organic acids and a more rapid decrease in pH. This is why temperature control is important in fermentation processes.

5. How does the starting pH of the solution affect the final pH during fermentation?

The starting pH of the solution can have a significant impact on the final pH during fermentation. If the starting pH is too low, it can inhibit the growth of microorganisms and slow down the fermentation process. On the other hand, a starting pH that is too high can result in a slower decrease in pH during fermentation.