Is Ancestral Math Misleading?

• Thread starter Dremmer
  • Start date
In summary: I was curious as to what it was referring to.In summary, by doubling the number of ancestors in each generation, we can see that by the time we are back 10 generations, there is the potential for a large number of ancestors. However, this raises the question of where our ancestors have gone. The concept of incest is brought up, but it is debated whether sharing an ancestor 10 generations ago can truly be considered incest. Some argue that incest only has biological implications up to a certain level of relation. Others suggest the solution of sex robots, but this is met with confusion and disbelief. Ultimately, the idea of creating cyborg children is brought up, but it is unclear how this would solve the issue of incest.
Dremmer
If we double the number of ancestors in each generation, 2 parents, 4 grandparents, and so on, we can see that by the time we are back 10 generations, we have the potential for 1024 ancestors. But is this true? If we were to go back to the time of Charlemagne, we would find we had the potential for 281 trillion (YES!) ancestors all living at that one moment in history. This is statistically impossible! So where did our ancestors go?

Incest. We still commit incest to this day and don't realize it.

Biology news on Phys.org
Define "incest".

Incest is sex with close relatives. I hardly thing sharing an ancestor 10 generations ago is close relative, by that logic all sex is incest and we have to now come up with a new term to describe sex with close relatives. pointless

ryan_m_b said:
Incest is sex with close relatives. I hardly thing sharing an ancestor 10 generations ago is close relative, by that logic all sex is incest and we have to now come up with a new term to describe sex with close relatives. pointless

It's interesting that the Genesis account appears to require incest between siblings for the propagation of the human race. I pointed this out to my parents at a young age (11) and they looked at me like I was Rosemary's Baby (look it up if you're too young to remember this movie.)

Last edited:
Incest only has grave biological implications (you know deformed babies and the such) till at the most a second cousin. By the time you reach a third or fourth cousin the shared percentage of genes becomes very less and mostly won't result in retarded offspring.

This is why the world needs sex robots.

Perfection said:
This is why the world needs sex robots.

Yes, because sex robots would be the perfect aid to reproduction and remove the whole problem of shared genes once and for all. In fact, once the current population dies off there wouldn't be much in the way of genes left at all... :uhh:

jarednjames said:
Yes, because sex robots would be the perfect aid to reproduction and remove the whole problem of shared genes once and for all. In fact, once the current population dies off there wouldn't be much in the way of genes left at all... :uhh:

uh...what?

mishrashubham said:
uh...what?

Introducing "sex robots" doesn't solve the supposed issue of incest. It could even make it worse.

Personally, I don't see there being a problem. As per previous posts, it's not that much of an issue unless they are close relatives. So said robots won't do anything.

jarednjames said:
Introducing "sex robots" doesn't solve the supposed issue of incest. It could even make it worse.

Personally, I don't see there being a problem. As per previous posts, it's not that much of an issue unless they are close relatives. So said robots won't do anything.

You took that post seriously? I thought that was just a random and stupid joke.

mishrashubham said:
You took that post seriously? I thought that was just a random and stupid joke.

It wasn't serious, it was a reference to a film which has this exact issue in a comedic sense. However, as you were confused I explained it.

Well okay

jarednjames said:
it was a reference to a film which has this exact issue in a comedic sense.
No it wasn't.

The key is to make cyborg children.

Perfection said:
No it wasn't.

The key is to make cyborg children.

The key to what? Since you seem pretty serious about this, tell me how would this help? And how do you hope to accomplish this? I am still assuming this isn't spam or a joke.

Perfection said:
No it wasn't.

Ah, so you know what I was referencing and I don't.

1. What is incest?

Incest is the sexual activity between family members or close relatives.

2. Is incest illegal?

In most countries, incest is considered a criminal offense and is punishable by law. However, the laws and punishments vary depending on the location.

3. Why does incest occur?

Incest can occur due to a variety of reasons, including sexual abuse, coercion, and psychological issues such as narcissism or a desire for power and control.

4. What are the potential consequences of incest?

In addition to the social stigma and legal consequences, incest can also lead to physical and mental health issues for both the individuals involved and their potential offspring. These may include genetic disorders, trauma, and relationship difficulties.

5. Is there any justification for incest?

No, there is no justification for incest as it is a violation of societal norms and can cause harm to individuals and their families. Any perceived justifications are often based on false beliefs or manipulation.