Close call, crazy pilot

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
In summary, the pilot in the first video had a close call when he was flying a military jet. The second video shows a pilot in training flying a Pampa. The footage is genuine, but the ground-hugging pass is scary.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Close call, "crazy" pilot

Judge by yourself.
First video, on ground: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eebBjs507Yc&feature=related.
Second video, pilot camera (watch from second 50 if you want the action) .
The plane is a Pampa, from Argentina if you're interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

fluidistic said:
Judge by yourself.
First video, on ground: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eebBjs507Yc&feature=related.
Second video, pilot camera (watch from second 50 if you want the action) .
The plane is a Pampa, from Argentina if you're interested.

I bet this guy isn't flying anymore, that is a military jet, Argentinian perhaps ?

Rhody... :bugeye:

Last edited by a moderator:

It reminds me a scene from Catch 22.

rhody said:
I bet this guy isn't flying anymore, that is a military jet, Argentinian perhaps ?

Rhody... :bugeye:
Vought high-wing trainer jet.

turbo-1 said:
Vought high-wing trainer jet.

A pilot in training (no, say it isn't so...), or a seasoned pilot showing off for a trainee (more likely) ?

Rhody...

P.S. He couldn't have been more than five feet off the ground.

:eek:

That pilot is crazy! He just needed to have a hiccup and he wouldn't be alive aymore...

OMG. The guys on the ground had to dive for their lives.

rhody said:
P.S. He couldn't have been more than five feet off the ground.

I would estimate about two feet for the first jet. You can get a very good still frame if you pause the video.

Edit: After watching it again, it seems like it was a very close call for the camera guy. I don't know how the wing missed him.

Last edited:

That was part of the story in Catch 22, but it was propeller, not wing, that killed someone.

Unfortunately I have to assess that this footage appears to be genuine and I have been there too :rolleyes: Albeit as a student, since my instructor seemed to be member of the darwin award community. The only thing I can say in his favor is that the so called "ground effect" helps to stabilize the altitude.

But it's crazy.

Beats having to mow the grass.

Andre said:
... and I have been there too :rolleyes:

Twice for me.

Once with a father-in-law; under bridge on the Kansas river,

Once with a United Airlines Pilot; buzzed rock climbers at Red Rock Colorado while in the Army Reserves. :bugeye:

Andre said:
Unfortunately I have to assess that this footage appears to be genuine and I have been there too :rolleyes: Albeit as a student, since my instructor seemed to be member of the darwin award community. The only thing I can say in his favor is that the so called "ground effect" helps to stabilize the altitude.

But it's crazy.
I have been in some hairy situations in planes thanks to family relationships with bush-pilots, and a professional relationship with the Maine warden service. Nothing as nuts as ground-hugging pass in the OP, but still pretty darned scary when you're looking at the trees on the opposite shore of a small pond and you just "know" that the floats won't clear them. There are lots of tiny ponds in northern Maine, and there are float-plane businesses that exist just to get fishermen in and out of these places, so the pilots are pretty adept.

My father knew a fellow Navy pilot (pre-WWII Texas) who approached a train at night with his training aircraft, then turned his headlight on at the last minute. Apparently the train had to limp home on squared wheels. (I do not endorse this, just report it.)

Loren Booda said:
Beats having to mow the grass.

How can I hire this guy!?

dlgoff said:
Once with a United Airlines Pilot; buzzed rock climbers at Red Rock Colorado while in the Army Reserves. :bugeye:

turbo-1 said:
I have been in some hairy situations in planes thanks to family relationships with bush-pilots, and a professional relationship with the Maine warden service. Nothing as nuts as ground-hugging pass in the OP, but still pretty darned scary when you're looking at the trees on the opposite shore of a small pond and you just "know" that the floats won't clear them. There are lots of tiny ponds in northern Maine, and there are float-plane businesses that exist just to get fishermen in and out of these places, so the pilots are pretty adept.

You reminded me of another incident with the United Pilot I mentioned. We decided to take a look at the Aspen trees that were in full fall color in the Rocky mountains. We flew out of Colorado Springs and climbed high enough to get above the mountains for a good view.

The pilot forgot to turn the carburetor heat on and the engine stalled. We dropped down between ravines on Cheyenne Mountain before getting the engine started. Very good look at the aspens as they passed the windows at about 150 MPH.

dlgoff said:
You reminded me of another incident with the United Pilot I mentioned. We decided to take a look at the Aspen trees that were in full fall color in the Rocky mountains. We flew out of Colorado Springs and climbed high enough to get above the mountains for a good view.

The pilot forgot to turn the carburetor heat on and the engine stalled. We dropped down between ravines on Cheyenne Mountain before getting the engine started. Very good look at the aspens as they passed the windows at about 150 MPH.

Don,

Did you get into the KYAGB position ? Better yet, did you pee your pants ?

Rhody... :eek:

My buddy forgot carb heat when we buzzed the nude beach on key biscayne in 1982.

The pass was much lower than intended and he was reaching for the flaps when I got the engine cranked.

He flew and I (A&P) worked on getting the engine restarted.

The up side to this event was him deciding to learn all he could of the technology and emergency proceedures.

He calls me up every few months to relate how his complete understanding of the planes he now flies (currently 747 for evergreen) has allowed him to convince less mechanially inclined captains that something needs attention before it snowballs into something serious.

rhody said:
Don,

Did you get into the KYAGB position ? Better yet, did you pee your pants ?

Rhody... :eek:

Yes and yes. :frown:

Worst thing was we ended up coming out of the mountains over the Air Force academy's controlled air space. We were promptly told to get the hell out. Which we did.

What is a "close call" in regards to a pilot?

A "close call" is an event in which a pilot narrowly avoids a potentially dangerous situation, such as a near collision or an emergency landing.

What makes a pilot's actions during a "close call" considered "crazy"?

The term "crazy" is subjective and can vary based on individual perspectives. In the context of a pilot, it could mean making risky decisions or displaying unusual behavior in a high-pressure situation.

What are some factors that can contribute to a "close call" for a pilot?

Pilots can experience close calls due to a variety of factors, including adverse weather conditions, technical malfunctions, human error, and miscommunication with air traffic control.

How do pilots prepare for and handle "close call" situations?

Pilots undergo rigorous training and are equipped with emergency protocols to prepare for potential close calls. During a close call, they rely on their training, quick thinking, and communication with air traffic control to safely navigate the situation.

How are "close call" incidents recorded and used for safety improvements in the aviation industry?

Close call incidents are typically reported and recorded by pilots, air traffic controllers, and other aviation professionals. This data is then analyzed and used to identify potential safety hazards and make improvements to procedures, equipment, and training to prevent future incidents.