PF Symbols: Guide to Meaning & Thread Titles

• Thread starter klimatos
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of various symbols used in the Forum, specifically the different kinds of envelopes that precede thread titles. The suggestion is made to check the FAQ for more information, however it seems that the message icon legend has been removed and icons can now be customized. Borek and Kurdt are praised for their knowledge on the subject, with Kurdt being credited for informing someone about the icons' meaning. There is also mention of an additional icon that is a combination of "No new posts" and "You have posted in this thread", featuring a picture of someone wearing a blue pullover.
klimatos
Where can I find a guide to the meaning of the various symbols used in the Forum? For instance, what do the different kinds of envelopes that precede the thread titles mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe have a look at the FAQ: https://www.physicsforums.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_vb3_board_usage

Last edited by a moderator:
icon_legend.png

Borek said:
icon_legend.png
Yay Borek!

Hmmm, we should have a user manual that includes such stuff. It would be handy...

Evo said:
Yay Borek!

Coincidence. I was asked about their meaning few days ago and Kurdt told me where to find them.

Borek said:
Coincidence. I was asked about their meaning few days ago and Kurdt told me where to find them.
Yay Kurdt!

Kurdt has a lot of secret forum knowledge.

Borek said:
icon_legend.png
There is another icon not in this list. It is a combination of the "No new posts" version of "more than 50 replies or 500 views", and "You have posted in this thread". I think the picture in "You have posted in this thread" is an actual picture of me wearing a blue pullover, but I can't be sure. It is anatomically correct, but not politically.

1. What are PF symbols and why are they important in scientific research?

PF symbols, or protein family symbols, are short codes used to represent specific protein families in scientific literature and databases. They are important because they allow for easy identification and classification of proteins, which is crucial for understanding their functions and roles in biological processes.

2. How are PF symbols assigned to proteins?

PF symbols are assigned by the HUGO Gene Nomenclature Committee (HGNC), which is responsible for naming and classifying human genes and proteins. The HGNC uses a standardized system to assign symbols based on the protein's function and evolutionary relationships to other proteins.

3. How can I interpret the meaning of a PF symbol?

The meaning of a PF symbol can be interpreted by referring to the HGNC database, which provides detailed information on the assigned symbols and their corresponding protein families. Additionally, the HGNC website offers tools for searching and browsing PF symbols and their associated proteins.

4. Can PF symbols be used interchangeably with gene names?

No, PF symbols and gene names are not interchangeable. While gene names are specific to a particular gene, PF symbols represent a larger protein family that may include multiple genes. Therefore, it is important to use the correct symbol when referring to a specific protein family.

5. Are PF symbols only used for human proteins?

No, PF symbols are also used for proteins in other organisms, including model organisms such as mice and zebrafish. The HGNC assigns symbols for protein families in a variety of species, making them a valuable tool for cross-species comparisons in scientific research.