Read threads and the back button

• Bug
  • Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
In summary, when you use the back button on a forum, the thread is not marked as read even if there are no new posts.
QuarkCharmer
"Read" threads and the back button!

It's not really a big deal, but I noticed that when I view a forum section, and read a thread causing it to un-bold, if I use the back button to get to the main page it will cause the thread to mark unread again.

Using the newest FF if it matters, but it happens on IE for me as well.

Physics news on Phys.org

If you use back button you don't reload the page from the server, so you see it as it was sent earlier. Refreshing will display it correctly. This is not a server side bug, this is just how browsers work.

it used to reload automatically. (javascript, i assume). but this forum behaviour has changed recently. i thought maybe it was just something on my end, but apparently not.

i'm not complaining, though, i realize it would reduce some load.

That's not the problem. For example:

I go to general discussion, open a bold thread and read it. I use back to get out to the general discussion thread and exit my browser. When I go back to general discussion again the thread is unread again even though there are no new posts. It even shows them as unread if I am the last poster!

To make the "mark read" "stick", I have to go into a thread, then use the navigation buttons on the top sub-menu to go back out. It's like the server saves what I have already read, when I exit a thread via those links, rather than marking it read when I enter it. Like I said, it's no big deal, but it's annoying sometimes and I am not sure if it is intended behavior.

yeah, if it's still there after reloading your web browser, that's odd.

edit: ok, it's doing it to me also, but no matter how i get back to the topic list, it's not marked read. i haven't tried closing firefox and starting over, but it shouldn't make a difference because it's a server problem.

Borek said:
If you use back button you don't reload the page from the server, so you see it as it was sent earlier. Refreshing will display it correctly. This is not a server side bug, this is just how browsers work.
It reloads for me. I just checked the page source and it does have the "no cache headers".
Proton Soup said:
it used to reload automatically. (javascript, i assume). but this forum behaviour has changed recently. i thought maybe it was just something on my end, but apparently not.

i'm not complaining, though, i realize it would reduce some load.

Are you saying that when you use the back button you get the cached page instead of it reloading? I actually prefer the cache over reloading because it's quicker. I have the back button on my mouse and I like to go back and forth through the forums pretty quickly. I don't really need or want an updated page each time I use the back button. So if you're able to get around this somehow, I would be interested in knowing how.

By the way, I do not have the same problem as QuarkCharmer. And I'm using the latest version of FireFox. However, I noticed that I must view the last page of the thread for it to work. Otherwise, the thread will not be marked read.

Last edited:

1) What are "read threads" and how do they work?

Read threads refer to the feature on a website or forum where the user can view a conversation or discussion in a linear format. This means that the comments or replies are displayed in chronological order, making it easier for the user to follow the conversation. The back button allows the user to navigate back to the previous page or thread they were viewing.

2) Why is it important to have a back button when reading threads?

The back button is important because it allows the user to easily navigate back to the previous page or thread they were viewing. This is especially useful when reading long threads or conversations, as it saves the user from having to click multiple times to go back and view previous comments.

3) Can I use the back button to go back to a specific point in a read thread?

No, the back button will take you back to the previous page or thread you were viewing, but it will not take you back to a specific point in the thread. To navigate to a specific point, you can use the scroll bar or the page numbers at the top or bottom of the thread.

4) Are there any alternatives to using the back button when reading threads?

Yes, some websites or forums may have a "previous" or "back" button within the thread itself, allowing the user to go back to the previous comment or page within the thread. Some websites may also have a table of contents or index at the top of the thread, which allows the user to jump to specific points in the conversation.

5) Can I disable the back button when reading threads?

No, the back button is a default feature on most browsers and cannot be disabled by the user. However, some websites or forums may have a feature that automatically saves your place in the thread, so if you accidentally click the back button, you can easily return to where you left off.