PF Mentor Retirement: Passing the Torch and Welcoming a New Addition

• Praise
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, Monique has taken a break from her role as a mentor to focus on her retirement research, and Ryan is taking her place. Ryan has been displaying the qualities we look for in a mentor, such as sound advice, helpful nature, and professionalism, and is excited to join the ranks and continue the positive work Monique was doing. Ryan has also been brought in to replace Hoot, who is still on coffee duty. All is not lost, as Monique has promised to come back when her time is free.
And you thought we were done!?

The retirement bug has struck another today! This time it is Monique. Monique is off busy with important research. We wish her all the best! Monique is in fact the first mentor ever here at PF. She was brought in along with Phobos back in early 2001. That is over 10 years of service! Ever since she has been giving sound advice and been an important of PF's development! I am very confident this will be temporary and we'll see Monique back in rank when her time frees up!

To fill her shoes we're bringing in the young prospect ryan_m_b! Since last February Ryan has been displaying the exact qualities we look for in a mentor! Qualities such as; sound advice, helpful nature and professionalism. We're all excited for Ryan to join the ranks and continue the the positive work Monique was doing in Other Sciences! Welcome Ryan!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hurry back Monique, we miss you!

Welcome Ryan! YAY! Well deserved and much needed.

(get the large tights)

I like my coffee strong, with Coffeemate chocolate Belgian Toffee creamer.

Also, my pillows need fluffing.

Evo said:
I like my coffee strong, with Coffeemate chocolate Belgian Toffee creamer.

Hoot is still on coffee duty! :D

Greg Bernhardt said:
Oh, in that case, Ryan, the mentors hot tub needs cleaning! Some softly scented candles would be nice.

Hoot, need coffee. Chop, Chop!

Evo said:
Hoot, need coffee. Chop, Chop!
Yes, mistress ...
[PLAIN]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/39/Lurch.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Hootenanny said:
Yes, mistress ...
[PLAIN]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/39/Lurch.JPG[/QUOTE]Oooh, the srtong, quiet type. And quick too. :biggrin:

You rang master? :tongue2:

I wish you well Monique! I'm delighted to join the mentors and look forward to my future here with Physics Forums. For anyone else that maybe reading please forgive me if I accidentally ban you or something, there may be some learning curves...

Last edited:

Welcome aboard, Ryan!

Congratulations ryan! :smile:

Good luck with the research Monique, and congrats to ryan!

ryan_m_b said:
please forgive me if I accidentally ban you or something, there may be some learning curves...

The more random a ban, the merrier!

ryan_m_b said:
For anyone else that maybe reading please forgive me if I accidentally ban you or something, there may be some learning curves...
Watch out for the Edit button when you are acting as a normal user and just want to respond to some post. The Edit button is right next to the Quote button, and now it is right next to the Quote button on every single post. It is embarrassingly easy to edit some user's post instead of responding to it.

Oh, and I like my coffee hot and black, preferably flavored with a bit of hazelnut. No cream, no sugar. You and Hoot can serve it to me while I lounge in the PF hot tub. Thanks in advance!

And welcome aboard!

Thanks, Monique, I hope you are successful beyond your wildest dreams!

Yay, Ryan - congrats! Great choice :smile:.

Congrats ryan! I am sure you will do great as a mentor! :D

ryan_m_b said:
I'm delighted to join the mentors and look forward to my future here with Physics Forums. For anyone else that maybe reading please forgive me if I accidentally ban you or something, there may be some learning curves...
Now now, don't pick up Evo's habits now! That ban gun is a powerful weapon :)

If it comes down to it, it seems that micro is always taking the hits so hint hint xP

Just messing, again congrats!

D H said:
Watch out for the Edit button when you are acting as a normal user and just want to respond to some post. The Edit button is right next to the Quote button, and now it is right next to the Quote button on every single post. It is embarrassingly easy to edit some user's post instead of responding to it.

Oh, and I like my coffee hot and black, preferably flavored with a bit of hazelnut. No cream, no sugar. You and Hoot can serve it to me while I lounge in the PF hot tub. Thanks in advance!

And welcome aboard!

Yeah...I already made that mistake lol. I think me and Hoot have divided up the labour so that he makes the drinks and I take care of the tub and lightbulbs. Considering that I don't know who has the job of drinks in the hot tub :confused:

D H said:

Why don't you (Greg) change the layout and put the edit button on the other side, next to the report button?

NeoDevin said:
Why don't you (Greg) change the layout and put the edit button on the other side, next to the report button?

well that's no fun :D

Greg Bernhardt said:
The retirement bug has struck another today! This time it is Monique. Monique is off busy with important research. We wish her all the best! Monique is in fact the first mentor ever here at PF. She was brought in along with Phobos back in early 2001. That is over 10 years of service! Ever since she has been giving sound advice and been an important of PF's development!

I guess that makes her a PF Legend!

Wow, first Mentor, I knew something must be up because for a long time, I had not seen a post from her. Good Luck Monique, and Ryan, I am sure you will enjoy manning the banning gun with Evo, good luck.

Rhody...

rhody said:
Wow, first Mentor, I knew something must be up because for a long time, I had not seen a post from her. Good Luck Monique, and Ryan, I am sure you will enjoy manning the banning gun with Evo, good luck.

Rhody...

Oh don't worry about the gun :devil: I'm gathering some members from the Engineering Forums and putting together a Banzooka!

http://www.amazing-planet.net/slike/rodents/squirrel_bazooka.jpg

awww, so cute! I want one.

In my defense, I only accidently ban micro in chat. :blushing:

Three times, the 4th was by request as a test.

Ryan_m_b said:
I'm gathering some members from the Engineering Forums and putting together a Banzooka!

http://www.amazing-planet.net/slike/rodents/squirrel_bazooka.jpg

[PLAIN]http://images.zaazu.com/img/afraid-male-afraid-frightened-smiley-emoticon-000138-large.gifHelp me berkeman.

Congrats all!

I'm a bit late over here. I have been wondering ever since when I noticed that Ryan had become mentor, why there was no formal announcement; but for some odd reason I noticed this thread only today. Congrats again Ryan.

Borek said:
I guess that makes her a PF Legend!

I haven't had too many opportunities to interact with Monique, but the few times I did were memorable.

A little belated, but well done Ryan and Monique :)

GregJ said:
A little belated, but well done Ryan and Monique :)

Thank you :smile:

I still owe you all a very warm "thank you" for all the years of good fun and excellent discussions :biggrin:

Setting up an entirely new research line in a new lab is time consuming, the reason of my absence. Upcoming January is a big grant deadline, I really need to focus on that. I'll still be around though.

Ryan already received my congratulation, I think he and Borek are excellent people for the forum :smile:

Monique said:
Setting up an entirely new research line in a new lab is time consuming, the reason of my absence. Upcoming January is a big grant deadline, I really need to focus on that. I'll still be around though.

Ryan already received my congratulation, I think he and Borek are excellent people for the forum :smile:

Sounds exciting Monique! Best of luck! You better visit often! :)

Hi Monique, sounds like you have your hands full! I miss you!

I've started using OmniFocus (task-management software), maybe that will help me keep my mind on track on things to do :smile: I'll put an alert "visit PF" in there as well :wink:

Miss you too Evo! PF is a great place.

Monique said:
I'll put an alert "visit PF" in there as well :wink:

That's great!
Wish you the best of luck:smile:

Monique said:
PF is a great place.
Coming from you, it must be true. :wink: Thanks for all your time.

Greg Bernhardt said:

You're the guy in charge of smilies, and the best that you can come up with is ":D"? :rolleyes:

Jeez, but you must have recruited Monique right out of the cradle. She doesn't look a day over 20. Just check the firmness and straightness of those lashes. Not a sag nor a droop to be found. (I can imagine how stupid this paragraph will seem if she changes her avatar...)

Ryan, good on ya, mate. I have every confidence that you will excel in your new habitat.

Monique, thank you for all that you've done. I'm glad that you will be monitoring once in a while, because you will always be my ultimate "go-to gal" for matters of linguistics. I've never met anyone who knows more about verbal and written communication.

1. How can I prepare for my retirement as a PF mentor?

As a PF mentor, it is important to start planning for your retirement early on. This includes creating a retirement savings plan, evaluating your current financial situation, and setting realistic retirement goals. It may also be helpful to seek advice from a financial advisor.

2. What should I consider when choosing a successor for my PF mentor role?

When choosing a successor, it is important to consider their experience, skills, and commitment to the role. You may also want to involve them in your mentoring activities beforehand to ensure a smooth transition. Additionally, make sure to communicate your expectations and responsibilities clearly to the successor.

3. How can I ensure a successful transition for my successor?

To ensure a successful transition, it is important to have open and honest communication with your successor. This includes discussing your mentoring style, sharing any relevant materials or resources, and providing guidance and support during the transition period. It may also be helpful to introduce your successor to your mentees and colleagues.

4. What steps can I take to maintain a positive relationship with my successor?

To maintain a positive relationship with your successor, it is important to establish clear boundaries and expectations from the beginning. This includes discussing roles and responsibilities, communication methods, and any potential conflicts. It may also be helpful to schedule regular check-ins to address any concerns and provide feedback.

5. How can I continue to support my successor after my retirement?

Even after your retirement, you can continue to support your successor by staying in touch and offering guidance and advice when needed. You can also provide them with resources or introduce them to other mentors who can offer additional support. Additionally, consider leaving a legacy by documenting your mentoring approach and sharing it with your successor.