Mutual Inductance of the cylinder coils

In summary, Mutual inductance is a phenomenon in which the magnetic field created by one current-carrying coil induces a voltage in another nearby coil. In the case of cylinder coils, the mutual inductance is affected by the distance between the coils, the number of turns in each coil, and the relative orientation of the coils. This phenomenon is used in various applications such as transformers, motors, and generators to transfer energy and create a magnetic field. It is an important concept in the study of electromagnetism and plays a crucial role in many technological advancements.
Romperstomper
Two coils are wrapped around the same cylinder form. When the current in the first coil is decreasing at a rate of -.242A/s, the induced emf in the second coil has a magnitude of .00165 Volts. What is the mutual inductance?

What I did:

[tex]E_2 = -M(\frac{d_i_1}{d_t})[/tex]

.00165/-.242 = -M

.006818H.

The answer given is 1.96H. I went over it several times and I keep coming back to this equation. Am I wrong, or is the book wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume the book's wrong, your working looks fine to me.

Based on the given values and the equation you used, it seems like your calculation is correct. However, it is always a good idea to double check your work and make sure you are using the correct units and conversions. It is also possible that the answer given in the book is incorrect. You may want to consult with a classmate or your instructor to see if they can confirm the correct answer.

What is mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance is the phenomenon where the changing magnetic field of one coil induces a voltage in another coil. It is a measure of the coupling between two coils and is dependent on their physical properties and relative positions.

How is mutual inductance calculated?

Mutual inductance can be calculated using the formula M = k * sqrt(L1 * L2), where M is the mutual inductance, k is the coupling coefficient, and L1 and L2 are the inductances of the two coils.

What is the significance of mutual inductance in practical applications?

Mutual inductance is important in many practical applications, such as in transformers and inductors. It allows for the transfer of energy from one circuit to another, and also plays a role in the phenomenon of electromagnetic interference.

How does the distance between two coils affect mutual inductance?

The distance between two coils has a significant effect on mutual inductance. As the distance increases, the magnetic coupling between the coils decreases, resulting in a decrease in mutual inductance. This is because the magnetic field of one coil has less influence on the other coil as the distance increases.

Can mutual inductance be negative?

Yes, mutual inductance can be negative. This occurs when the two coils have opposite orientations and their magnetic fields cancel each other out. In this case, the mutual inductance is considered to be negative and is represented by a negative value in calculations.