Find all values of x in this equation 3^x(x^3-2x^2-x+2)/x^3+6x^2+9x is less than or e

• Thread starter appplejack
  • Start date
Can you see that x^2+ 6x+ 9 is a perfect square? And what does that make the denominator? And can you see that the numerator is also a perfect square?In summary, to find all values of x in the equation 3^x(x^3-2x^2-x+2)/x^3+6x^2+9x is less than or equal to 0, we first factor the numerator polynomial to get (x-1)(x+1)(x-2)(x+2). Then, we factor the denominator polynomial to get x(x+3)^2. From here, we can see that the numerator is a perfect square and the denominator is a
appplejack

Homework Statement

Find all values of x in this equation 3^x(x^3-2x^2-x+2)/x^3+6x^2+9x is less than or equal to zero. (how can I write it so that it would look good and not messy like above?)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

simplify the equation so that I get the following.

3^x[x(x-1)^2+2]/x(x+3)^2 is less than or equal to zero.
(x cannot be 0 or 3) I'm stuck here and helpless from this point

Physics news on Phys.org

appplejack said:

Homework Statement

Find all values of x in this equation 3^x(x^3-2x^2-x+2)/x^3+6x^2+9x is less than or equal to zero. (how can I write it so that it would look good and not messy like above?)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

simplify the equation so that I get the following.

3^x[x(x-1)^2+2]/x(x+3)^2 is less than or equal to zero.
(x cannot be 0 or 3) I'm stuck here and helpless from this point
Here's your inequality. If you Quote my post, you can see the LaTeX that I used.
[tex]3^x\frac{x^3 - 2x^2 -x + 2}{x^3 + 6x^2 + 9x} \leq 0[/tex]

You factored the denomimator, and that work looks fine. You also need to factor the numerator polynomial. What you have is not a factorization. The only possible rational roots of the numerator are +1 and -1, and +2 and -2. This means that x - 1, x + 1, x - 2, or x + 2, respectively, are potential factors.

Once you get things factored, we can go from there.

appplejack said:

Homework Statement

The title says less or equal to e and above says less or equal 0. Which is it? Also it isn't clear what is in the denominator. You can use the X2 button for superscripts. Also you can read here about using LaTeX:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=386951

[Edit] I see now that the title of your post was truncated. All the more reason not to put equations in the title!

Last edited by a moderator:

You say you're stuck, but we don't quite know whether you're stuck just on a mechanical part, the factorisation of the numerator polynomial, or whether overall you don't know where you're going.

For the first, it is not that difficult and I think it's a pity to be stuck on a mechanical part so I think it's OK to suggest: look at the first two terms together, look at the last two terms together, suggest anything to you?

For where you're going, you've got some factors multiplied together and divided by some other factors multiplied together. Without even looking at the factors, if they were just A, B, C,... in general what conditions on the A, B, ... in something like ABCD/EFGH give you that the result is >/= 0 . BTW notice you already have a perfect square for one of the factors.

Assuming you meant "less than or equal to 0", the first thing I would do is try to factor those cubics. The "rational root theorem" says that the only possible rational roots (the only kind that gives simple factors) must be integers (since the leading coefficients are both 1) that evenly divide the constant term.

The constant term for [itex]x^3-2x^2-x+2[/itex] is 2 so the only possible rational roots are [itex]\pm 1[/itex], [itex]\pm 2[/itex]. Try those.

As for the denominator, [itex]x^3+6x^2+9x= x(x^2+ 6x+ 9)[/itex] and the quadratic is a perfect square.

What is the equation we are trying to solve?

The equation we are trying to solve is 3^x(x^3-2x^2-x+2)/x^3+6x^2+9x is less than or e.

What is the domain of the equation?

The domain of the equation is all real numbers except for x = 0 and x = -3, as these values would result in a division by zero.

How do you find the values of x that satisfy the inequality?

We can find the values of x by first setting the equation equal to e and then solving for x using algebraic manipulation and factoring techniques.

What are the steps to solve this equation?

The steps to solve this equation are as follows:
1. Set the equation equal to e.
2. Simplify the equation by factoring.
3. Use the Zero Product Property to find the values of x that make each factor equal to 0.
4. Determine which values of x satisfy the original inequality.
5. Write the solution set in interval notation.

What is the significance of the solution set?

The solution set represents all the possible values of x that make the inequality true. It is important to note that there may be more than one solution and the solution set may contain both real and complex numbers.