Calculating Area of f(x) from 0 to 3 with 6 Rectangles

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, The conversation is about estimating the area under the graph of f(x) = 1 + (x - 1)^2 from x = 0 to x = 3 using 6 rectangles and right end point. The conversation also touches upon breaking up the rectangles, calculating the area of each rectangle, and finding the exact value for the sum of the areas. The final answer is found to be 6.875.
Miike012
I just read the section so I want to make sure I am doing it correctly..
I am using it to assist in solving an area question...

Question:
Estimate the area under the graph of f(x) = 1 + (x - 1)^2 from x = 0 to x = 3 using 6 rectangles and right end point.

Each rectangle has a base of 0.5 wide

1. Ʃ 1 + (0.5*i - 1)^2 = i^2/4 - i + 2 ; i = 0 and n = 6

2. Breaking them up:

1/4Ʃ i^2 - Ʃ i + Ʃ 2 ; i = 0 and n = 6

3. Calculating the area of f by computing the sum of the areas of each rectangle in
[0 , 3]

.5( 1/4*(6*13*7)/(6) - (6*7)/2 + 6*2) = 6.85

Attachments

• sig.png
    sig.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 431
Physics news on Phys.org
You could just do it by adding up the six rectangles and skip the sigma notation altogether. That would probably be simpler. But I think you got it right. Except for the final 6.85 number. That's a little off.

I know I could have I just wanted to practice lol..

Miike012 said:
I know I could have I just wanted to practice lol..

That's fine. But there an exact value for the sum. And it isn't 6.85.

1. What is the formula for calculating the area of f(x) from 0 to 3 with 6 rectangles?

The formula for calculating the area of f(x) from 0 to 3 with 6 rectangles is the Riemann Sum formula, which is ∆x * [f(x1) + f(x2) + f(x3) + f(x4) + f(x5) + f(x6)].

2. How do you choose the value of ∆x when calculating the area of f(x) from 0 to 3 with 6 rectangles?

The value of ∆x is chosen by dividing the interval [0, 3] into 6 equal subintervals. This means that ∆x = (3-0)/6 = 0.5.

3. Can the number of rectangles used be changed when calculating the area of f(x) from 0 to 3?

Yes, the number of rectangles used can be changed. In general, the more rectangles used, the more accurate the calculation of the area will be.

4. What is the significance of using more rectangles when calculating the area of f(x) from 0 to 3?

Using more rectangles allows for a more accurate approximation of the area under the curve of f(x) from 0 to 3. This is because as the number of rectangles increases, the width of each rectangle decreases, resulting in a better approximation of the curve.

5. Is calculating the area of f(x) from 0 to 3 with 6 rectangles an exact measurement?

No, calculating the area of f(x) from 0 to 3 with 6 rectangles is an estimation. The exact measurement would require an infinite number of rectangles, which is not practical to calculate. However, as the number of rectangles used increases, the estimation becomes more accurate.