How to find all elements of S4 that satisfy the equation x^4=e?

• Thread starter AdrianZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary: On another angle, consider (1 2 3 4).Which other 4-cycles are identical to this one?There are 3 more: (2 3 4 1), (3 4 1 2), and (4 1 2 3).
I like Serena said:
Okay, you counted it right, but then, you already knew it should be 3.

Anyway, I believe you were going to set up a generalized formula for k-cycles in Sn.
When you have that, you may want to revisit this problem.

Actually I wanted to set up a generalized formula for the number of solutions of the equation xn=e, but now I see that it can be a little bit more tricky when n is not a prime number, because then I'll have to count the number of the generated cycles as products of disjoint cycles. that would make it harder.

The number of k-cycles in Sn is (n,k)*(k-1)! as someone else mentioned. the reason is that first we have to choose k letters out of n letters for forming k-cycles, then we fix the first element and permute the others and that can be done in (k-1)! ways. so the answer will be (n,k)*(k-1)! where (n,k) is n choose k.

this gives us the ability to predict the solutions of xn=e when n is prime. since the only divisors of n are 1 and itself, we'll have (1 + (n-1)!) solutions.
so, x5=e we'll have 25 solutions in S5.

we can also predict the number of solutions of xk=e in Sn when n is prime. the answer will be (1 + (n,k)*(k-1)!).
the number of solutions of x4=e in S5 is 1 + 5*24 = 121.
the number of solutions of x2=e in S3 is 1 + 3*1 = 4. those solutions namely are: {e,(1 2),(1 3),(2 3)}.

the case where n is not prime is a bit tricky, but I'll think about it. first I'll need to prove some theorems, for example if p and q are two disjoint cycles, then o(pq)=o(p)o(q). it needs more considerations, I'll think about it later.

Thanks guys for the help, and have a nice thanksgiving holiday tomorrow.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AdrianZ said:
this gives us the ability to predict the solutions of xn=e when n is prime. since the only divisors of n are 1 and itself, we'll have (1 + (n-1)!) solutions.
so, x5=e we'll have 25 solutions in S5.

Right.

AdrianZ said:
we can also predict the number of solutions of xk=e in Sn when n is prime. the answer will be (1 + (n,k)*(k-1)!).
the number of solutions of x4=e in S5 is 1 + 5*24 = 121.

These are only the 4-cycles.
What about solutions to x2=e in S5?

AdrianZ said:
the number of solutions of x2=e in S3 is 1 + 3*1 = 4. those solutions namely are: {e,(1 2),(1 3),(2 3)}.

Yes.