Shearing/Bending diagrams, forces acting on beam

In summary, the conversation discussed how to compute reactions at supports, draw complete shearing force and bending moment diagrams, determine magnitude and location of maximum absolute value of shearing force and bending moment, use free body diagram approach to determine internal shearing force and bending moment at any specified point in a beam, and write equations for all segments of shearing force and bending moment diagrams. The discussion also touched on how to approach the bending diagram of moments, including the difference in treatment for a beam attached to a wall compared to a beam on a pivot. The conversation also highlighted the importance of clearly showing multiple slopes on the bending moment diagram.
togo

Homework Statement

- Compute the reactions at the supports
- Draw complete shearing force and bending moment diagrams
- Determine magnitude and location of maximum absolute value of shearing force and bending moment
- Use free body diagram approach to determine internal shearing force and bending moment at any specified point in a beam
- Write equations for all segments of shearing force and bending moment diagrams

Homework Equations

M = FD

The Attempt at a Solution

uv37n.jpg

I didn't attempt to finish it since I sort of got stuck. I was looking for examples in the book for how to do this and can't seem to find. Am I even close to correct on either the shearing or bending diagram? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your loading diagram shows two point loads, yet your shear diagram shows three discontinuities. Why?

Think this one through, and when you do, you should be on the way to a solution.

alright, so when you have a beam tacked onto a wall as in this example, is it treated the same way as though it was just sitting on a pivot on that end? thanks

oku3hf.jpg

an improvement I hope, still don't know how to approach the bending diagram of moments.

Your shear diagram shows a pair of steps, so there should be two different slopes evident on your bending moment diagram. I can't really tell if you tried to show that or not, but it is not very clear on your diagram. The left most slope should be quite a bit higher (magnitude) than the one of the right.

The built-in end does support a moment, unlike the pined end, and that is why the moment diagram does not go to zero on the left end. It comes out at the wall moment value.

1. What is a shearing/bending diagram?

A shearing/bending diagram is a graphical representation of the forces acting on a beam. It shows the distribution of shearing and bending forces along the length of the beam.

2. How is a shearing/bending diagram useful?

A shearing/bending diagram is useful in determining the maximum shearing and bending stresses that a beam can withstand. It also helps in designing and analyzing structures to ensure they can support the applied loads.

3. What is the difference between shearing and bending forces?

Shearing forces are parallel forces that act in opposite directions, causing the beam to slide or shear. Bending forces, on the other hand, are perpendicular forces that cause the beam to bend or deform.

4. How are shearing and bending forces calculated?

Shearing forces are calculated by taking the sum of all the forces acting on one side of the beam. Bending forces are calculated by taking the sum of all the moments (force x distance) acting on one side of the beam.

5. What factors affect the shearing and bending forces on a beam?

The magnitude and direction of the applied loads, the type of support at each end of the beam, and the material properties of the beam (such as its cross-sectional shape and dimensions) all affect the shearing and bending forces on a beam.