Schrodinger Equation in a representation

In summary, the general evolution of a ket is according to the equation -i\hbar\frac{d}{dt}|\psi\rangle=H|\psi\rangle. Without specifying a representation, this equation can be represented in a certain representation F as -i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\langle f|\psi\rangle=\langle f|H|\psi\rangle.
youngurlee
The general evolution of a ket [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] is according to
[itex]-i\hbar\frac{d}{dt}|\psi\rangle=H|\psi\rangle[/itex]
without specifying a representation.

From this equation, how can you simply get a equation in a certain representation [itex]F[/itex] as below:
[itex]-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\langle f|\psi\rangle=\langle f|H|\psi\rangle[/itex] ?

doesn't it need the validity of
[tex]\langle f|\frac{d}{dt}|\psi\rangle=\frac{∂}{∂t}\langle f|\psi\rangle[/tex]
?

does this always hold for any ket and bra in a Hilbert space and its dual space?

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as f is time independent, yes. This is true in the Schroedinger picture for example, where f can be x or p_x and as operators these are time independent.

thank you for your reply, but I really think some condition is required.

for example, look upon [itex]\langle f|[/itex] (independent of [itex]t[/itex]) as a eigenbra of [itex]F[/itex] whose eigenbras are continuous in [itex]f[/itex]. and [itex]\langle f|[/itex] acts on [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] as an linear functional.
that is:
[itex]\langle f|\psi\rangle=\psi (f,t)=\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}\phi^*(x,f)\psi (x,t)dx[/itex]

so, [itex]\langle f|\frac{d}{dt}|\psi\rangle=\frac{∂}{∂t}\langle f|\psi\rangle[/itex] in this case means:

[itex]\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}\phi^*(x,f)\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\psi (x,t)dx=\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}\phi^*(x,f)\psi (x,t)dx[/itex]

I mean, doesn't this equation (exchange of derivative and improper integral) require some condition, such as the uniform convergence of the improper integral[itex]\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}[/itex]?

youngurlee said:
[...] but I really think some condition is required. [...]
One way to deal with this more rigorously is to work in the context of so-called "rigged Hilbert space" (Gel'fand triples) -- if you're not familiar with these terms, think "generalized functions" or "distributions". Derivatives are then typically interpreted as some kind of "weak derivative".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_derivative

youngurlee said:
[itex]\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}\phi^*(x,f)\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\psi (x,t)dx=\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}\phi^*(x,f)\psi (x,t)dx[/itex]

I mean, doesn't this equation (exchange of derivative and improper integral) require some condition, such as the uniform convergence of the improper integral[itex]\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}[/itex]?
The integral here is a Lebesgue integral, not a Riemann integral, so I think interchange of derivative and integral is allowed.

lugita15, I know little about Lebesgue integral.
Be it a Lebesgue integral, interchange of derivative and integral is always allowed ?
I read somewhere that Lebesgue integral is a generalization of Riemann integral, then if the interchange in Riemann integral does not hold for a certain integral, will it hold in Lebesgue integral ?

thank you.

1. What is the Schrodinger equation in a representation?

The Schrodinger equation in a representation is a mathematical equation that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It is a central equation in quantum mechanics and is used to determine the possible states and energies of a quantum system.

2. What are the different representations of the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation can be represented in different forms, including the position representation, momentum representation, and energy representation. Each representation provides a different way of understanding the behavior of a quantum system.

3. How is the Schrodinger equation derived?

The Schrodinger equation was first developed by Erwin Schrodinger in 1925. It was derived using the principles of classical mechanics and the de Broglie hypothesis, which states that particles can also exhibit wave-like properties. Schrodinger's equation was later refined and is now a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics.

4. What does the Schrodinger equation predict?

The Schrodinger equation can be used to predict the probability of finding a particle in a certain state or location. It also predicts the possible energies of a quantum system and how they may change over time.

5. How is the Schrodinger equation used in practical applications?

The Schrodinger equation has many practical applications, including in the development of new technologies such as transistors and lasers. It is also used in quantum chemistry to understand the behavior of molecules and in quantum computing to perform complex calculations.