Virtual particles inside black holes

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of virtual particles and their existence within a black hole. There is no issue with virtual particles inside the event horizon, but the singularity within the black hole cannot be accurately defined in current physics. There is speculation that virtual particles may not exist within a black hole due to the compressed space and the inability for light to escape. However, this is just a theory and the true nature of virtual particles within a black hole is unknown.
Daddo0711
First time poster, more of a nerd than an academic.

So virtual particles, can they pop into and out of existence inside the event horizon of a black hole? What about in the black hole itself? If nothing can escape and matter is torn apart, what happens to those quantum particles? Or maybe not escape but are they given enough time and space to interact/annihilate themselves inside such a massive gravitational field? Can they even come into being in the first place? Obviously I know we would only have theoretical knowledge but I don't think I've seen this asked or answered before.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is an interesting if not highly theoretical question. The best we can do (or at least the best I can do) is say that the surface area describes the internal entropy of a black hole (i.e Leonard Susskinds holographic principle and Stephen Hawking equations for black hole entropy). The entropy is a kind of average value of all the things that are going on inside a black hole but what those things are is anyone's guess. Perhaps someone with a higher level of theoretical understanding of this could explain better but my gut answer is we don't really know.

Daddo0711 said:
First time poster, more of a nerd than an academic.

So virtual particles, can they pop into and out of existence inside the event horizon of a black hole? What about in the black hole itself?
"Inside the black hole" and "inside the event horizon" are the same.
As far as I know, there is no problem with virtual particles inside - they can annihilate again and everything is fine. While the total drag towards the black hole is big, it is locally quite similar for all particles. In a similar way, you can perform the same experiments in outer space and in drop towers.

mfb, I had always thought the event horizon was simply a point of demarcation defining only where the force of gravity overcomes the ability of waves/particles to escape. I can see I have misspoken in not defining "black hole" versus "singularity", though.

Well, as the singularity cannot be well-defined within current physics, and as it would be point-like in General Relativity , "in the singularity" is a bit odd.
"Black hole" usually means the whole object, including the event horizon.

I was thinking and imagined that virtual particles might not exist in a black hole since it is in a way a manifestation of compressed space; so much so a that light does not escape, (with the exception of quantum tunneling).
So when space get compress in black hole it gets stuck in its set frequency position so it has the same effect as on light on the quantum scale, in that it doesn't really move

Maybe.I just stumbled on to this forum it's pretty cool.

1. What are virtual particles inside black holes?

Virtual particles are particles that pop in and out of existence in the vacuum of space. They are constantly created and destroyed in pairs, and are not considered to be real particles as they cannot be directly observed or measured.

2. How do virtual particles contribute to black hole physics?

Virtual particles play a role in the Hawking radiation process, where they are created at the event horizon of a black hole and one particle falls into the black hole while the other escapes. This results in a net loss of mass for the black hole.

3. Can virtual particles escape from inside a black hole?

No, virtual particles created inside a black hole cannot escape as they are trapped within the event horizon. Only virtual particles created near the event horizon have a chance of escaping and contributing to Hawking radiation.

4. How do virtual particles inside black holes affect the behavior of matter and light?

Virtual particles can affect the behavior of matter and light through their interactions with particles and fields near the black hole. This can lead to phenomena such as gravitational lensing and the tidal forces experienced by objects falling into a black hole.

5. Do virtual particles have an impact on the structure of black holes?

Yes, virtual particles can contribute to the total mass and energy of a black hole, affecting its overall structure and properties. They also play a role in the information paradox, where the presence of virtual particles inside a black hole may lead to the loss of information about particles that fall into it.