Determining the Future Using Probability or Perception of Time?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of higher dimensions and how they relate to our perception and understanding of the world, specifically in the context of Quantum Mechanics. It is mentioned that there are interpretations of QM that do not rely on probability, such as deterministic interpretations, and that the many-world interpretation suggests the existence of infinite dimensions. The conversation also touches on the idea of negative dimensions and the uncertainty surrounding the exact number of dimensions in our universe. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexity and mystery surrounding higher dimensions and their potential impact on our understanding of reality.
legend_b0bby
Just something I was wondering about Schrödenger's cat. According to Schrödenger's cat, wether the cat is alive or dead can only be defined as a probability unless you observe it, but something else could be possible. What if we had 4th dimensional perception, so we could see the future. If we did, we would be able to observe the cat being either alive or dead. Anybody, at any given time could observe this event, therefore probability could not exist. Since Quantum Mechanics is based off of probability, it could not exist either. Now, what about the possibility of us having 5th dimensional perception, so we could see all possible outcomes. In this case, there are only two possible outcomes, so we could see both of them, but how do we know which one is reality? Well... think of it this way. You are in a car but you are not the person driving and you do not know where you are going. There is a fork in the road. Aha! You do not know which direction you are going so you can only define which direction you are going to go using a probability. This means that with 5th dimensional perception, there would be probability and Quantum Mechanics!

I am not an expert, I just started looking up stuff and getting books from my local library so I probably have something wrong (I usually do...).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi legend bobby, welcome to the forum!

I think your intuition is very good, because conceptually similar (but technically much more elaborated) views of quantum mechanics (QM) already exist.

First, there are views of QM in which probability does not have any fundamental role. These are DETERMINISTIC interpretations of QM, such as Bohmian interpretation and many-world interpretation. In deterministic approaches, the future is already encoded in the present state of the system, so in a sense one can say that the future already exists. It is very difficult to see that future in practice, but in principle it is possible.

Second, there is even something that corresponds to your 5th dimension, i.e., the space of all alternatives. This is the many-world interpretation, in which all alternatives exist. However, there is one technical detail; the number of corresponding dimensions turns out not to be 5, but infinite. But your basic intuition was good.

Demystifier said:
Second, there is even something that corresponds to your 5th dimension, i.e., the space of all alternatives. This is the many-world interpretation, in which all alternatives exist. However, there is one technical detail; the number of corresponding dimensions turns out not to be 5, but infinite. But your basic intuition was good.

I talked to my step-brother last week about higher dimensions and he told me that for all we know we could be in the 45th dimension. I then thought that there are lower and higher dimensions of things beyond comprehension of our 3-dimensional brains that could have more than space and time. That led me to think that there could be the possibility of negative dimensions.

Also, thanks for a warm welcome! I appreciate it.

legend_b0bby said:
I talked to my step-brother last week about higher dimensions and he told me that for all we know we could be in the 45th dimension. I then thought that there are lower and higher dimensions of things beyond comprehension of our 3-dimensional brains that could have more than space and time. That led me to think that there could be the possibility of negative dimensions.

Also, thanks for a warm welcome! I appreciate it.

I'm no genius or expert but I don't think your step brother is understanding dimensions...

I can't post linke because I haven't met the posting standard yet, but do a youtube search for "Imagining the Tenth Dimension part 1 of 2"...

I was just messing around on youtube and i came across that video. Thats how i started getting into Quantum Mechanics. Then I talked to my step-brother and he explained to me that there are infinite dimensions, not just 10. Then he told me about lower dimensional entities with lower dimensional perception and then I really started to get interested.

You may want to read this then.

blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmicvariance/2005/12/07/how-many-dimensions-are-there/

It's unclear how many dimensions there are. It's wrong to say with certainty there are infinite dimensions, and just as wrong to say with absolution there are only 3 spatial dimensions and 1 time dimension, or 10 dimensions, or 33 1/3 dimensions. There are many hypotheses on the matter. The interpretation that a theory describing extra dimensions must correlate to extra, 'walking through walls', 'worm-hole to the other-side' spatial dimensions is often the misconception, caused when theories are translated mangled and drip-dried into popular science articles, that mathematical dimensions must have a spatial meaning rather than taking them for what they are, at face value - mathematical objects.

1. What is the difference between probability and perception of time in determining the future?

Probability is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the likelihood of a specific event occurring based on available data. Perception of time, on the other hand, is a psychological concept that relates to an individual's subjective experience of time passing. In determining the future, probability involves analyzing data to make predictions, while perception of time can influence how an individual perceives and plans for the future.

2. How can probability be used to determine the future?

Probability can be used to determine the future by analyzing past data and trends, as well as considering potential variables and their likelihood of occurring. This can help to make informed predictions about future outcomes. However, it is important to note that probability does not guarantee a specific future outcome, as chance and unforeseen events can also impact the future.

3. How does our perception of time affect our ability to determine the future?

Our perception of time can influence our ability to determine the future in several ways. For example, individuals with a more optimistic perception of time may be more likely to take risks and make decisions that increase their chances of success. On the other hand, individuals with a more pessimistic perception of time may be more cautious and hesitant in making predictions about the future.

4. Can the future be accurately determined using probability and perception of time?

While probability and perception of time can provide valuable insights in determining the future, it is important to remember that the future is not set in stone and can be influenced by various factors. Therefore, it is not possible to accurately determine the future using these methods alone, but they can help to make informed predictions and decisions.

5. Are there any limitations to using probability and perception of time in determining the future?

Yes, there are limitations to using probability and perception of time in determining the future. For example, probability is based on available data and cannot account for unexpected events or changes in circumstances. Perception of time is also subjective and can vary greatly among individuals, making it difficult to make concrete predictions. Additionally, both methods may be influenced by biases and assumptions, which can affect the accuracy of future determinations.