Magnetic Flux Quanta - Definition & Animation

In summary, "Magnetic flux quanta" refers to the quantized flux in a superconducting ring, where the flux is periodic and can be described by phi_0, equal to h/2e. This also leads to the formation of Abrikosov vortices in type II superconductors. There are animations available on Youtube that demonstrate the movement of these vortices. "Magnetic flux quanta" can also be seen in the behavior of SQUIDs, which can be difficult to understand due to the mixture of reality and science fiction in this area of physics.
mnada
What is "Magnetic flux quanta"? is there any animation describing this subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is what it says it is, quantized flux.
The "typical" situation for this to occur would be superconducting ring, where you will find that the flux through the ring is quantized, meaning it is periodic, with phi_0 being h/2e.

This also gives rise to Abrikosov vortices (quantized "flux tubes") in type II superconductors. If you want to see some movies showing the movement of these you can just search for "vortex" and "superconductor" on Youtube.

Thanks for your reply, and please forgive my ignorance. I have read some sentences on wikipedia but unfortunately they all were repelling each other I couldn't understand a thing. Does this "Magnetic flux quanta" mean that Magnetic flux of say a wire carrying current can only take some discrete values? or this quantization happen only in case of interaction with superconductor materials?
What brought me here is that I am reading on "A Superconduction quantum interference device or SQUID". I can say that these are the parts of physics where reality is mixed with science fiction and It could be sometimes hard to understand.

Last edited:

1. What is magnetic flux quanta?

Magnetic flux quanta refers to the smallest unit of magnetic flux, which is the measure of the strength of a magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

2. What is the definition of magnetic flux quanta?

The definition of magnetic flux quanta is the smallest unit of magnetic flux that can exist in a system. It is determined by the properties of the material and the strength of the magnetic field passing through it.

3. How is magnetic flux quanta related to superconductivity?

Magnetic flux quanta plays a crucial role in superconductivity, as it is responsible for the phenomenon of flux pinning. In a superconducting material, magnetic flux quanta become trapped and locked in place, allowing for zero resistance to electrical current.

4. Can magnetic flux quanta be observed?

Yes, magnetic flux quanta have been observed and studied in various materials, including superconductors and quantum materials. They can be visualized using techniques such as scanning tunneling microscopy (STM) and magnetic force microscopy (MFM).

5. Is there an animation that explains magnetic flux quanta?

Yes, there are various animations and simulations available that demonstrate the behavior and properties of magnetic flux quanta. These can be found online or in educational resources on electromagnetism and quantum physics.