Interior angles of a triangle on a spherical surface

In summary, the sum of the interior angles of a triangle on a spherical surface is not equal to 180 degrees because the surface is curved, unlike a plane where the angles are measured at the vertex. On a spherical surface, two lines can intersect even if they share a common perpendicular line, resulting in angles that are larger than 90 degrees. This can be seen with a physical example using a tennis ball and rubber bands. The sum of the angles will always be greater than 180 degrees, with the exact value depending on the curvature of the surface.
Reshma
Explain me why the sum of the interior angles of a triangle is not equal to 180 degrees on a spherical surface?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In simple terms,because the surface (unlike the simple case of a plane) is not flat but curved and the definition of an angle between 2 coordinate curves is the same in all possible cases.Since the total curvature of the 2-sphere is positive (more,it is even constant),the sum of all angles in a spherical triangle is not 180° anymore,but more...If the surface had negative total curvature (the saddle,or mathematically rogurous:hyperbolic paraboloid),the angles in a triangle would add to less than 180°.

This part of geometry is really interesting... :approve:

Daniel.

Here's my take on it:

First you have to consider what a triangle is. It's three straight lines L1, L2 and L3 that have the property that L1 and L2 intersect where L3 does not intersect them, L1 and L3 intersect where L2 does not intersect them, and L2 and L3 intersect where L1 does not intersect them.

Spherical surfaces have the interesting property that two lines can intersect even if they share a common line perpendicular to each (not possible in a plane). I think that's the most important part of understanding how this works. Angles on a spherical surface are also measured at the vertex, before curvature dictates a smaller angle, so think of the angle measurement as like a tangent line to this curve at a vertex.

I think a physical description of this is easiest to see on a tennis ball with 3 rubber bands to represent lines, so I'll try and describe what I mean using that as a model. First, construct two lines with rubber bands (they'll fly off if you don't put them around the fattest circumference of the sphere in the particular way you angle them, so might as well do that). The rubber bands should look something like longitudinal lines on a globe. You'll notice the lines intersect. All you have to do now is place a third rubber band perpendicular to one of the rubber bands, but if it's perpendicular to one you'll see it's perpendicular to both. In this fashion you've made two triangles (actually three but just disregard it), so pick one to study.

Look at each vertex straight on. The angle measurements of two of those vertices should be 90 degrees because you placed a third rubber band perpendicular to the other two. The third one has some angle measurement too but I think that suffices to prove the sum of the interior angles is greater than 180 degrees. If you're still a little shaky because I told you how to make a specific triangle, try moving the first two lines closer together: Sure one angle gets smaller but the other two stay the same at 90 degrees, so you're still > 180 degrees by some amount.

The above is just how I look at it and I'm sure some would disagree with me. mathworld has a nice picture to illustrate the point too: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalTriangle.html

Thanks for the explanation!

1. What is the sum of the interior angles of a triangle on a spherical surface?

The sum of the interior angles of a triangle on a spherical surface is greater than 180 degrees. This is due to the curvature of the surface, which causes the angles to be larger than they would be on a flat surface.

2. How do you calculate the interior angles of a triangle on a spherical surface?

To calculate the interior angles of a triangle on a spherical surface, you can use the Spherical Law of Cosines or the Spherical Law of Sines. These formulas take into account the curvature of the surface and can be used to find the angles with the given side lengths and/or angles.

3. Can a triangle on a spherical surface have a right angle?

No, a triangle on a spherical surface cannot have a right angle. This is because a right angle would require one of the angles to be 90 degrees, which is impossible on a spherical surface where the sum of the angles is greater than 180 degrees.

4. How does the size of a triangle on a spherical surface affect its interior angles?

The size of a triangle on a spherical surface does not affect the interior angles. As long as the shape and proportions of the triangle remain the same, the interior angles will also remain the same. However, the larger the triangle, the larger the angle measurements will be due to the curvature of the surface.

5. Are the interior angles of a triangle on a spherical surface always acute?

No, the interior angles of a triangle on a spherical surface can be acute, obtuse, or even right angles. This depends on the shape and proportions of the triangle. However, the sum of the angles will always be greater than 180 degrees due to the spherical surface.