Resistors in series - how can current be constant?

In summary, it seems like adding resistors in series doesn't change the current (for a given voltage source)?
JoeN
I can't get my head around this:

How can the current in a series circuit be unchanged by any amount of resistors?
1) I understand that there is only one path, and thus;
2) I understand that the charge isn't used up.

BUT. If current is the charge passing a point per second, and resistors are something that 'resist' the charge or slow it down, how can the central question be explained?

Let me explain my reasoning. Take a roundabout and 10 cars, one at the start line and the rest behind each other. Let's say that, when they begin moving, (no acceleration, just constant speed) 5 get to the half way line per second. If I throw in a speed bump a quarter of the way round, this will decrease the cars' speed, and so less cars will pass the half way line per second. The current is decreased?

I've gotten myself thoroughly confused; can anyone explain this simply? Are my definitions wrong, or my analogy, or something?

Physics news on Phys.org
JoeN said:
I can't get my head around this:

How can the current in a series circuit be unchanged by any amount of resistors?
Why do you think that adding resistors in series doesn't change the current (for a given voltage source)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-7k8wpl_ZU&list=PLBCCF1129FCAE29DF&index=12&feature=plpp_video

There are three resistors in a series circuit. The video states that the current through the resistors is the same, or 'I = I1 = I2 = I3'.

EDIT: Ah, I see what you mean... so, the overall current is reduced, but the individual current readings through the resistors are equal to each other and the overall current?.. Sorry, I'm just writing my realisations..

If a current is 2A without any resistors, adding two will decrease the current, to say 1A, and this will be the current through the resistor. Is that correct?

Last edited:
JoeN said:
If I throw in a speed bump a quarter of the way round, this will decrease the cars' speed,

The spacing between the cars also decreases.

JoeN said:
There are three resistors in a series circuit. The video states that the current through the resistors is the same, or 'I = I1 = I2 = I3'.
Sure, the current is the same throughout. (But adding additional resistance in series changes that current.)

If the current were not the same everywhere, that would mean somewhere electrons are building up. If they were to do so, electrostatic fields would quickly be created to stem that flow so that it is evened out.

Doc Al said:
Sure, the current is the same throughout. (But adding additional resistance in series changes that current.)

If the current were not the same everywhere, that would mean somewhere electrons are building up. If they were to do so, electrostatic fields would quickly be created to stem that flow so that it is evened out.

The overall current is reduced, but the individual current readings through the resistors are equal to each other and the overall current?..

If a current is 2A without any resistors, adding two will decrease the current, to say 1A, and this will be the current through the resistor. Is that correct?

jtbell said:
The spacing between the cars also decreases.

Ah! Didn't think of that. Thank you, sir.

JoeN said:
The overall current is reduced, but the individual current readings through the resistors are equal to each other and the overall current?..
Right.
I'd phrase it like this: If a current is 2A and you add resistors in series to double the total resistance, then the current will drop to 1A and that will be the current through the resistors.

Doc Al said:
Right.

I'd phrase it like this: If a current is 2A and you add resistors in series to double the total resistance, then the current will drop to 1A and that will be the current through the resistors.

I see. Thank you very much for your time. Circuits have been troubling me for quite a while.

1. How do resistors in series affect the flow of current?

When resistors are connected in a series circuit, the current remains constant throughout the circuit. This means that the same amount of current passes through each resistor.

2. Why is the current constant in a series circuit with resistors?

This is because of Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the total current entering a junction must equal the total current leaving the junction. In a series circuit, there is only one path for the current to flow, so it remains constant.

3. What happens to the voltage in a series circuit with resistors?

The voltage in a series circuit is divided among the resistors. This means that the voltage across each resistor will be different, but the sum of the voltage drops across all the resistors will equal the total voltage of the circuit.

4. How does the resistance of each individual resistor affect the current in a series circuit?

The resistance of each resistor determines the amount of voltage drop across it. The higher the resistance, the more voltage will be dropped across the resistor, resulting in a lower current.

5. Can resistors be added in series to increase the overall resistance in a circuit?

Yes, the total resistance in a series circuit is equal to the sum of all the individual resistances. So by adding more resistors in series, the total resistance will increase, resulting in a decrease in current.