PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering

In summary, the person is considering pursuing a PhD in electrical engineering with a focus on tunable diode laser spectroscopy for gas exhaust measurement. They are concerned that this may derail them from their desired career in physics, but note that many electrical engineers work in physics-related fields. They also mention that at higher levels, there is no clear distinction between science and engineering. They are seeking advice on whether or not to pursue this opportunity.
thomasbenoy
Hi,

I have a master of science degree in photonics. I wanted to pursue a career in photonics related fields. My major interests are in nonlinear optics,laser physics,fiber optics and material science.

I have received an offer for PhD in electrical engineering(micro-systems and photonics group) in the field of tunable diode laser spectroscopy for gas exhaust measurement.

I am really in a fix because I am afraid a PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engg will derail me from the physics research track, and I will not be able to work in Physics later on.

kindly advice me on this topic.

PS: my supervisor is a Physicist from the univ of Manchester.

Physics news on Phys.org
thomasbenoy said:
Hi,

I have a master of science degree in photonics. I wanted to pursue a career in photonics related fields. My major interests are in nonlinear optics,laser physics,fiber optics and material science.

I have received an offer for PhD in electrical engineering(micro-systems and photonics group) in the field of tunable diode laser spectroscopy for gas exhaust measurement.

I am really in a fix because I am afraid a PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engg will derail me from the physics research track, and I will not be able to work in Physics later on.

kindly advice me on this topic.

PS: my supervisor is a Physicist from the univ of Manchester.

Lots of electrical engineers work in physics, more so in optics. OFS Labs in New Jersey hire mainly electrical engineers and physicists and their work overlaps heavily.

BiP

Hi
My idea so far is that electrical engineering is a subset of Physics, and at the higher level there is no well defined border between science and engineering;it is all interdisciplinary.

1. What is a PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering?

A PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering is an advanced academic degree that focuses on research and innovation within the field of electrical and electronic engineering. It typically involves coursework, comprehensive exams, and a dissertation project that contributes new knowledge to the field.

2. What can I do with a PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering?

With a PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, you can pursue a career in academia as a professor or researcher. You can also work in industry as a technical expert, consultant, or manager in various fields such as telecommunications, renewable energy, and microelectronics.

3. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering?

The length of a PhD program in Electrical and Electronic Engineering can vary, but it typically takes around 4-5 years to complete. This can depend on factors such as the individual's research progress, funding availability, and program requirements.

4. What are the prerequisites for a PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering?

Prerequisites for a PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering may vary among universities, but they typically include a master's degree in a related field, strong academic background in math and science, and relevant research experience. Some programs may also require GRE scores and letters of recommendation.

5. How much does a PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering cost?

The cost of a PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering can vary depending on the university and country of study. In the US, the average cost for a PhD program is around $30,000-$40,000 per year. However, many universities offer funding opportunities such as research assistantships and scholarships to help cover the cost of tuition and living expenses.