What guess should I use when the right hand side is a constant?

In summary, when the right hand side of a 2nd order linear non homogeneous differential equation is a constant, the particular solution should take the form of a polynomial of degree 0, or simply a constant value. This can be found by adding all solutions to the homogeneous equation, using both exponential and trigonometric approaches.
CraigH
What form should the particular solution of a 2nd order linear non homogeneous differential equation take when the right hand side is a constant?

if the differential differential equation has the form

Ay''+By'+Cy = g(x)

where g(x) is a constant

what form should the particular solution take?

I know if g(x) is an exponential the "trial" solution should be A(e^x)

If g(x) is trigonometric it should be A(sin(x))+B(cos(x))

And If it is a polynomial of degree n it should be A(x^n) + B(x^(n-1)) ... +C(x^0)

But what if the differential equation is just Ay''+By'+Cy = D

Should the trial solution be a polynomial of degree 0?

So I would try
y = D
y' = 0
y'' = 0

which would leave me with

CD=D

which is useless

Please Help!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, ##y=\frac{D}{C}## is a solution to your equation. It is not the only one, so you can add all solutions to Ay''+By'+Cy = 0. You can use both the exponential and the trigonometric approach (with complex numbers, they are the same anyway) to find them.

Ahhh okay, thank you for your answer :D

1. What is the right hand side in a scientific context?

The right hand side in a scientific context refers to the part of a mathematical or scientific equation that is located to the right of the equal sign. It is typically where a constant, or a known value, is placed.

2. Why is it important to choose the right guess when the right hand side is a constant?

Choosing the right guess is important because it can greatly affect the accuracy and reliability of your scientific results. A wrong guess can lead to incorrect conclusions and potentially invalidate your findings.

3. How do I determine the best guess to use when the right hand side is a constant?

The best guess to use when the right hand side is a constant can vary depending on the specific equation or problem being solved. In general, it is best to start with a reasonable estimate based on prior knowledge or research, and then refine the guess through trial and error or using mathematical methods such as iteration.

4. What factors should I consider when choosing a guess for a constant right hand side?

When choosing a guess for a constant right hand side, it is important to consider the range of possible values, the precision of measurements, and any known relationships between variables in the equation. It may also be helpful to consult with other experts in the field or review previous studies for guidance.

5. Can I use a different guess for the right hand side if my initial guess does not yield accurate results?

Yes, it is common and often necessary to use multiple guesses when solving scientific equations. If your initial guess does not provide accurate results, you can try adjusting it or using a completely different guess until you achieve a satisfactory outcome. It is important to document and explain your reasoning for choosing each guess in your research or experiment.