Plane Geometry Question: Distinction

In summary, PQR is an equilateral triangle, and A is a point on QR such that RA = 2 QA. By applying the cosine rule, it can be proven that PA^2 = 7QA^2. Alternatively, using Pythagoras's theorem, it can also be shown that PA^2 = 7QA^2. Both methods ultimately lead to the same conclusion.
aek
PQR is an equilateral triangle, and A is a point on QR such that RA = 2 QA. Prove that PA^2 = 7QA^2

If someone can help, i'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
aek said:
PQR is an equilateral triangle, and A is a point on QR such that RA = 2 QA. Prove that PA^2 = 7QA^2

How have you attempted to prove this statement ?

aek said:

HINT : Apply cosine rule on triangle PQA.

Thanks. . .

Why are you answering my question with a question? Just abit ironic that's all. Thanks for the hint hyper, it was helpful.

aek said:
Why are you answering my question with a question? Just abit ironic that's all. Thanks for the hint hyper, it was helpful.

I can't even tell if that's sarcasm. In any case, it was I that gave the hint, not hyper.

The policy of this forum is not to do homework or just solve the problem for the poster unless it is evident some effort or at least some serious thinking has been put into the solution by the poster. So I can understand why hyper posted what he did.

Have you solved the problem yet ? If you're still finding difficulty, apply the Cosine Rule as I suggested and see what you get. If stuck, post here with working, then you'll get help.

You can choose any arbitrary equilateral triangle PQR and let a point A on QR such that RA = 2QA. Show arithmatically (with numbers) that PA^2 = 7QA^2. Then proceed to argue that all triangles PQA are congruent, and therefore any proportions wrt its lengths (PA^2 = 7QA^2) must remain constant.

yeah, it was sarcasm

yep i got the point,
but i too know that you have to use the cosine rule and I've tried and couldn't find a relevant answer. If you want proof that i tried, i could scan my work but you being so trustful that wouldn't be necassary :P

Here is an alternative but longer way to do it that avoids trig. Let M be the midpoint of RQ. Since PQR is equilateral, you know (it's a theorem) that PM must be perpendicular to RQ. Then you can use Pythagoras's theorem a couple of times to find how the different segments relate to QA.

aek said:
yep i got the point,
but i too know that you have to use the cosine rule and I've tried and couldn't find a relevant answer. If you want proof that i tried, i could scan my work but you being so trustful that wouldn't be necassary :P

[tex]PQ = QR = 3QA[/tex]

[tex]PA^2 = PQ^2 + QA^2 - 2(PQ)(QA)\cos 60^o[/tex]

[tex]PA^2 = 9QA^2 + QA^2 - 2(3QA)(QA)(\frac{1}{2})[/tex]

[tex]PA^2 = 7QA^2[/tex]

Perhaps now the sarcasm can end.

perhaps it may. well thanks for the help, even though it took some time but truly, i really do appreciate it.

1. What is plane geometry?

Plane geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of figures and shapes that exist within a two-dimensional space, such as points, lines, angles, triangles, circles, and polygons.

2. What is the difference between plane geometry and solid geometry?

The main difference between plane geometry and solid geometry is that plane geometry deals with figures and shapes in a two-dimensional space, while solid geometry deals with figures and shapes in a three-dimensional space.

3. What is the importance of studying plane geometry?

Studying plane geometry helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also provides a strong foundation for understanding more complex mathematical concepts and is applicable in various fields, such as engineering, architecture, and computer graphics.

4. What are some common figures and shapes in plane geometry?

Some common figures and shapes in plane geometry include points, lines, angles, triangles, quadrilaterals, circles, and polygons. These shapes have distinct properties and relationships that are essential in solving problems in plane geometry.

5. What are some real-life applications of plane geometry?

Plane geometry has various real-life applications, including designing buildings and structures, creating maps and blueprints, calculating distances and areas, and even in art and design. It is also used in navigation and GPS technology to determine the shortest distance between two points.