Can a Thin Line Slope to 0? Exploring an Intriguing Question

• Thread starter adjacent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line Slope
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the slope of a box and its thinning, with the assumption that the box is fitting into a slit. The slope decreases as the box gets thinner, and it is being divided by its width each step. The thinnest line should be able to slope to 0, but the limit cannot be reached if the width cannot be divided infinitely. The concept of "rate of decreasing angle" is also mentioned, but the exact relation between width, angle, and step number is not provided. A drawing is suggested as a helpful tool in finding the solution.
adjacent
Gold Member
Look at the image!As the box gets thinner,the slope of the box decreases.and I think, if the thinning is constant i.e.(It gets thinner by dividing it's width each step),the rate of sloping decreases.Is this right?
If the above is correct,The thinnest line should be able to slope to 0.
Am I right?It's so confusing.

Attachments

• so.png
    so.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 381
Mathematics news on Phys.org
There's no way to answer your question as you haven't given the relation between the slope and this thinning, or even what you mean by "thinning".

the rate of sloping decreases
How is that "rate of sloping" defined?
If you fit boxes into that slit, and halve the height of the boxes in each step, the angular difference between two steps will become smaller.
If that slit has no height itself, the limit of zero height will have an angle of zero, indeed.

D H said:
There's no way to answer your question as you haven't given the relation between the slope and this thinning, or even what you mean by "thinning".
What relation?I mean thinning as the width of the box decreasing.

mfb said:
How is that "rate of sloping" defined?
If you fit boxes into that slit, and halve the height of the boxes in each step, the angular difference between two steps will become smaller.
If that slit has no height itself, the limit of zero height will have an angle of zero, indeed.
Sorry it's rate of decreasing angle.
But if even if we keep on dividing the width by two,you can't make the width zero.So the angle cannot reach zero.My question is can we divide it infinitely and is the "rate of decreasing angle" decreasing?

You have some relation in mind between width, angle, and step number. Until you tell us what those relations are there is no way to answer your questions. We can't read your mind!

D H said:
You have some relation in mind between width, angle, and step number. Until you tell us what those relations are there is no way to answer your questions. We can't read your mind!
See the slit in the image. I think the box is supposed to fit into that.

adjacent said:
Sorry it's rate of decreasing angle.
But if even if we keep on dividing the width by two,you can't make the width zero.So the angle cannot reach zero.My question is can we divide it infinitely and is the "rate of decreasing angle" decreasing?
See the middle part of my previous answer.

mfb said:
See the slit in the image. I think the box is supposed to fit into that.
You did a better job of reading adjacent's mind than did I. Even with what you said, that graphic still doesn't communicate one thing to me.

Here is a analysis of a slab with thickness h, in a slot length L, and depth h and τ is the angle between the slab and the slot.

Hope my drawing is readable, just a pencil sketch.

If we keep the L, the length of the slot much bigger then then depth of the slot and thickness of the slab we get a linear relationship:

τ= h/Q + d/Q

If we hold d constant, then the angle changes linearly with slope 1/Q and intercept d/Q. That means that if h=0 τ=d/q again this is with the assumption that L >> h and d

Attachments

• ink slab in a slot.pdf
    853.4 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Now you have read my mind integral!Thank you.You are so intelligent

Thanks, but I think persistent is a better description. Note that the drawing was the key. I recorded the known quantities then examined the relationships until the key angles became clear. In general a good drawing is key to a solution.

1. Can a thin line actually slope to 0?

The answer to this question is yes, a thin line can slope to 0. This is because the slope of a line is defined as the change in y coordinates divided by the change in x coordinates, and if the change in y is 0, then the slope will be 0.

2. Is this question related to calculus or geometry?

This question can be explored using both calculus and geometry. In calculus, we can use the concept of limits to determine the slope of a thin line as it approaches 0. In geometry, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the slope of a line.

3. What real-world applications does this question have?

This question has many real-world applications, such as in engineering and physics. For example, in civil engineering, understanding how a thin line can slope to 0 is important for designing stable structures. In physics, this concept is relevant when studying the motion of objects with negligible mass.

4. Are there any limitations to this question?

One limitation of this question is that it only applies to straight lines. Curved lines or other shapes may not have a slope of 0, even if they are thin. Additionally, this question may not be applicable in all mathematical contexts, such as non-Euclidean geometries.

5. How can this question be further explored?

There are many ways to further explore this question, such as by considering different types of lines (e.g. vertical or horizontal), using different mathematical approaches (e.g. using trigonometry or vectors), or applying the concept to different real-world scenarios. Additionally, this question could be expanded to explore the concept of a line having an undefined slope.