Help Building Simple Pipe Bend (Experiment)

In summary: CFD to simulate the effect of the water flow. It is a great way to see how the water will behave. I think you might be better off using FloXpress. sixth, you will need a way to discharge the water. I would suggest using a large battery.
aurienell
So as a side project for my professor, I'm supposed to
1) build a recirculating simple pipe bend
2) experiment and get data
3) do hand calculations via fluids equations (Bernoulli)
4) simulate with solidworks
5) compare results

Restrictions: budget and availability of finding products. Thinking of getting everything at Home Depot/Lowe's. Design can be anything but pipes at least 3" dia.

It sounds simple, but I had to research crazily to understand how to make this all work. If anyone can give suggestions/advice/revisions on improving any part of the steps, I would really, really, appreciate it

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2lc6vlw&s=8#.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2lc6vlw&s=8#.U8hi4vldX9N
A very rough rendering of what I have in mind. The pipes would be raised and propped on a PVC frame. The pipes would be within ~3.5'x3.5'x3.'5 box size

1) Which submersible pump to use? Maybe 500gpm?

2) How to connect pump to pipe?

3) Suggestions on which simulation program to use? I only have FloXpress on Solidworks. Tried to use Autodesk CFD, but somehow my SW works don't load to CFD. I don't have Flow Simulation :(

Thank you so much! I shall be waiting desperately for replies.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Recommend using Menards for supplies in area. Pricing may be more favorable. Need more information to help, but 500 gpm is very large pump, also with 3" pipe the velocity will be somewhat high, about 22 - 24 feet per second. Not sure if you want to pump a fluid in a circle until the pump explodes or what? Is there an equivalent electrical circuit that would explain what you intend? Where is work dissipated? What you've described so far in a circuit sounds like you want to dead short a large battery.

Take a step back.

First, what is the objective of this? It sounds like you are just setting up a pump to recirculate water.
Second, what pump rate do you want for this. 500 gpm is a lot and takes a lot of horse power. Set your flow rate to a little above what you need for the experiment to demonstrate what ever you need.
third, I would look at a basic electric sump pump. They usually have a 2 inch threaded fitting and you can adapt it to 3 inch if needed. I doubt though you need more than 20-30 gpm and a 2 inch PVC pipe.
fourth, you better have something supporting the pipe or you will have a problem. even a 20 gpm flow will want to push the pipe around.

Hi there,

It sounds like you have a very interesting project on your hands! Building a recirculating simple pipe bend and conducting experiments to collect data can definitely be a challenging but rewarding task.

To start, it's great that you have a clear list of steps to follow and that you have researched extensively to understand the project. As for suggestions and advice, here are a few things to consider:

1) Building the pipe bend: It's important to carefully select the materials and tools you will need for the project. Home Depot and Lowe's are great options, but make sure to check the specifications and materials of the products you choose to ensure they meet the requirements for your project. It may also be helpful to consult with an expert at the store for any guidance or advice.

2) Experiment and data collection: Make sure to carefully plan and set up your experiment to ensure accurate and reliable data. This may involve controlling variables, taking multiple measurements, and ensuring proper calibration of equipment.

3) Hand calculations and simulation: It's great that you are planning to use both hand calculations and simulation to compare results. For hand calculations, make sure to carefully apply the Bernoulli equation and consider any other relevant equations for your experiment. As for simulation, if you are limited to using FloXpress on Solidworks, make sure to carefully set up your simulation and validate your results with your experimental data.

4) Submersible pump and connections: It's important to select a pump that can provide the required flow rate for your experiment. Make sure to also consider the head pressure and any other relevant factors. As for connecting the pump to the pipe, you may need to use fittings or adapters to ensure a secure and leak-free connection.

5) Simulation program: Since you have access to FloXpress on Solidworks, that would be a good option to start with. However, if you are unable to get it to work, there may be other free or trial versions of simulation software available online that you can use. It may also be worth reaching out to your professor or colleagues for any recommendations or assistance.

Overall, it seems like you have a solid plan in place and have done your research. Just make sure to carefully plan and execute each step, and don't hesitate to reach out for help or advice if needed. Good luck with your project!

1. What is the purpose of the experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the principles of fluid dynamics and the effects of pipe bending on the flow of fluids. By building a simple pipe bend, we can observe how the flow of water or other fluids is affected by changes in direction.

2. What materials are needed for the experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a length of clear plastic tubing, a large container of water, a protractor, a ruler, and a marker. Optional materials may include food coloring to make the water more visible, and various objects to place in the water to observe how they are affected by the flow.

3. How do you build a simple pipe bend?

To build a simple pipe bend, start by cutting a length of clear plastic tubing to the desired length. Then, use a protractor to measure and mark the angle of the bend on the tubing. Next, carefully bend the tubing at the marked angle, making sure to keep the bend smooth and gradual. Finally, secure the tubing in place with tape or clamps, and place one end in a container of water.

4. What variables can be manipulated in this experiment?

The variables that can be manipulated in this experiment include the angle of the pipe bend, the diameter of the tubing, and the speed of the fluid flow. These variables can be changed to observe how they affect the flow of fluids through the pipe bend.

5. What observations should be made during the experiment?

During the experiment, you should observe the behavior of the fluid as it passes through the pipe bend. Look for changes in speed, direction, and turbulence in the flow. You can also place objects in the water and observe how they are affected by the flow, such as whether they are pushed to the side or remain in the middle of the flow.