Making Firefox Look Better in KDE - Ask dduardo

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Firefox
In summary, the conversation is about the appearance of Firefox in KDE and how to improve it. The solution suggested is to use the plastikfox crystal theme. It is also mentioned that there is a QT build of Firefox, but it is experimental. The conversation also clarifies the difference between QT and GTK, the technologies used by KDE and Gnome respectively.
mattmns
I should probably ask this at the firefox forums, or linux forums, but I know dduardo knows the answer :smile:

I have both gnome and kde installed, but when I have firefox running in kde it looks like crap. So how can I make it look better? Could I change my firefox link to something like firefox -qt2 or something? It looks like crap in kde, imo, because of the qt dialogs, I think that is what they are called anyway. Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
I would recommend the plastikfox crystal theme for firefox.

[edit] And yes there is a qt build of firefox, but it is at most experimental.

Last edited:
Cool, the theme makes it look much much better. Thanks!

edit... I meant for the qt as in that firefox looks much better in gnome than it does in kde. Or do I mean gtk? I don't know. It looks much better now, thanks. :smile:

Last edited:
Huh?

QT: KDE
GTK: Gnome

Just ignore me I don't know what I am talking about :smile: I thought gnome and kde used the same thing, but a different version.

1. What is KDE and why would I want to make Firefox look better in it?

KDE is a desktop environment for Linux and other Unix-like operating systems. It provides a graphical user interface and a set of tools and applications for users to interact with their computer. Many users prefer the aesthetics and functionality of KDE, and therefore may want to make Firefox look better in it to have a cohesive and streamlined experience.

2. How can I change the theme of Firefox in KDE?

To change the theme of Firefox in KDE, you can go to the Firefox menu and select "Add-ons". From there, you can browse and install different themes to customize the appearance of your browser. Alternatively, you can also go to the KDE system settings and navigate to the Application Appearance section, where you can change the overall theme of your KDE environment, including Firefox.

3. Is it possible to change the default fonts and font size in Firefox for KDE?

Yes, it is possible to change the default fonts and font size in Firefox for KDE. You can go to the Firefox menu and select "Preferences", then navigate to the "Fonts and Colors" section. Here, you can customize the font type, font size, and other settings to your liking. You can also change the default fonts and font size in the KDE system settings, which will apply to all applications, including Firefox.

4. Are there any KDE-specific add-ons or extensions for Firefox?

Yes, there are several KDE-specific add-ons and extensions for Firefox. These include KDE integration add-ons, which allow you to control and customize Firefox using KDE's native tools and settings. There are also add-ons that provide a more seamless integration between Firefox and KDE, such as the Plasma Integration add-on, which adds a KDE-themed menu bar and system tray icon to Firefox.

5. Can I customize the appearance of Firefox in KDE using CSS?

Yes, you can use CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) to customize the appearance of Firefox in KDE. You can create a userChrome.css file in your Firefox profile folder to override the default styles of Firefox. This allows you to customize the browser's interface, including the toolbar, tabs, and menus, to your liking. However, keep in mind that using CSS may affect the functionality of certain add-ons or extensions, so use it with caution.