What is the probability of being dealt four aces in a five-card poker hand?

In summary, the conversation discusses two probability problems: the first one involving determining the probability of being dealt four aces in a five-card poker hand given that one ace is revealed, and the second one involving finding the number of ways to choose a group of 10 people from a group of 6 adults and 8 children with at least 2 adults included. The conversation also touches on the confusion of when to use different techniques in probability.
six789
i have no idea which technique of probability to choose. here is the problem...
1. a five-card poker hand is dealt and the last card is turned face up. Determine the probability that you have been dealt four aces, given that the card turned over is an ace.

2. I how many ways can a group of 10 people be chosen from 6 adults and 8 children if the group must contain at least 2 adults

i tried #1, i get like (52 choose 5)*(5 choose 4) but the book turns out to be 1/20825
and for the second one, i have no clue where to start

NOTE: can anyone help me to find a way when to use the different kinds of technique in probability, coz I am so confused...

Physics news on Phys.org
try this

six789 said:
2. I how many ways can a group of 10 people be chosen from 6 adults and 8 children if the group must contain at least 2 adults
try no:adults=x and u want p(x>=2).summation 6Cx*8C(10-x)/14C10.start with x=2.

#1 HINT: You already know one of the cards leaving only 51 to choose from. In how many ways can you select four of the remaining cards such that one of them is not an ace?

tide, i still cannot get the right answer. like i solve many times, but i really can't find the correct answer... i tried this one... 5C4*51*1/52C4, but its is wrong since the right answer in my book is 1/20825

Last edited:
anyways, i found the solution for #2

but still i don't get the question in #1

The number of ways of selecting 3 aces and 1 card (not an ace) from the remaining 51 cards is C(3,3)XC(48, 1). The total number of ways of selecting any 4 cards from the remaining 51 given that one ace is already revealed is C(4,1)XC(51, 4) since the revealed card could be anyone of the 4 original aces.

tide, ur so good! with ur explanation, i really understand it well...thanks man!

1. What is the probability of drawing a red card from a standard deck of playing cards?

The probability of drawing a red card from a standard deck of playing cards is 1/2 or 50%. This is because there are 26 red cards (13 hearts and 13 diamonds) out of a total of 52 cards in a deck.

2. What is the probability of drawing a face card (Jack, Queen, or King) from a deck of cards?

The probability of drawing a face card from a deck of cards is 3/13 or approximately 23%. This is because there are 12 face cards (4 Jacks, 4 Queens, and 4 Kings) out of a total of 52 cards in a deck.

3. What is the probability of drawing a heart or a spade from a deck of cards?

The probability of drawing a heart or a spade from a deck of cards is 1/2 or 50%. This is because there are 26 red cards (13 hearts) and 26 black cards (13 spades) out of a total of 52 cards in a deck.

4. If I draw two cards from a deck, what is the probability of getting a pair (two cards with the same number or face value)?

The probability of getting a pair when drawing two cards from a deck is approximately 6.4%. This is because there are 13 possible pairs (one for each number or face value) out of a total of 52 possible combinations when drawing two cards.

5. What is the probability of drawing a card that is higher than a 10 from a deck of cards?

The probability of drawing a card that is higher than a 10 from a deck of cards is 3/13 or approximately 23%. This is because there are 12 cards higher than a 10 (4 Jacks, 4 Queens, and 4 Kings) out of a total of 52 cards in a deck.