Evolution of Field operators

In summary, the doubt raised is regarding Peskin's equation 2.43, which is the definition of the Heisenberg picture in QFT. This is derived from the way the time evolution operator acts, which is similar to the Schrodinger equation in QM. However, in QFT, the field operator ∅ is used instead of the wave function ψ, and its time evolution is given by U(t) ∅0 U*(t). This is not directly derived from the Schrodinger equation, but from the Heisenberg equation of motion for operators.
sumeetkd
This is a doubt straight from Peskin, eq 2.43
∅(x,t) = eiHt∅(x)e-iHt.

This had been derived in Quantum Mechanics.
How does this hold in the QFT framework?
We don't have the simple Eψ=Hψ structure so this shouldn't directly hold.

I'm sorry if this is too trivial

Physics news on Phys.org
sumeetkd said:
This is a doubt straight from Peskin, eq 2.43
∅(x,t) = eiHt∅(x)e-iHt.
What is ∅?

sumeetkd said:
We don't have the simple Eψ=Hψ structure so this shouldn't directly hold.
What's your problem with E|ψ>=H|ψ> in QFT?

I think this is just an analogy taken from QM to QFT. I assume ∅ here is an operator. This is just the definition of the Heisenberg picture, which one derives from the way the time evolution operator acts. And the way the time evolution operator acts is pretty much the Schrodinger equation... The time-indipendent version you wrote there is a perfectly valid way to calculate energy eigenvalues in QFT. I hope I didn't write any big mistakes.

Last edited:
tom.stoer said:
What is ∅?

What's your problem with E|ψ>=H|ψ> in QFT?

I'm sorry ∅ is the field operator.

The problem is that the Schrodinger equation goes as [itex]i\hbar \frac{∂}{∂ t} \Psi = H\Psi[/itex]
With which we can just write [itex]\Psi(x,t) = e[/itex]-iHt[itex]\Psi[/itex] and hence the Heinsenberg picture.
but this doesn't directly hold for QFT

Why not? I mean, the Schrodinger equation expresses nothing more than the fact that the Hamiltonian is the infinitesimal generator of time translations. In Dyson's formula, one uses the time integral of the Hamiltonian density from initial to final time, rather than Ht where H is time-indipendent. I think that's the only real difference, but the evolution operator is used in the same way to compute S-matrix elements.

you should be careful; in QM ψ is the wave function and its time evolution (derived from the Schrödinger equation) is ψ(t) = U(t,t0) ψ(t0); in QFT ψ is the field operator and its time evolution ψ(t) = U(t) ψ0 U*(t); but this is not derived from the Schrödinger equation but from the Heisenberg equation of motion for operators.

1. What are field operators?

Field operators are mathematical objects used in quantum field theory to describe the properties and behavior of quantum fields. They are defined as operators that act on the quantum fields, which are represented by state vectors in a Hilbert space.

2. How do field operators evolve?

The evolution of field operators is described by the laws of quantum field theory, which govern the dynamics of quantum fields. These laws dictate how the field operators change over time, based on interactions with other fields and particles.

3. What is the significance of evolution of field operators?

The evolution of field operators is crucial in understanding the behavior of quantum fields and the particles they describe. It allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles and their interactions, and has led to many advances in our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.

4. Are there different types of field operators?

Yes, there are different types of field operators, each corresponding to a different type of quantum field. For example, there are scalar field operators, vector field operators, and spinor field operators, which describe different types of particles with different properties.

5. How is the evolution of field operators related to the concept of symmetry?

The evolution of field operators is intimately connected to the concept of symmetry in physics. Symmetries in the laws of physics are reflected in the structure of the field operators, and changes in these symmetries can be observed in the evolution of the operators. This relationship has been crucial in developing our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.