Time Dilation in Childrens Cartoon

In summary, the conversation discusses the appearance of a complex equation for time dilation in a cartoon about time travel. It is noted that this inclusion of scientific knowledge in children's media is interesting and perhaps aimed at adult viewers. The conversation also mentions that one of the writers of The Simpsons and Futurama was a physicist, and that there is a trend of adult males watching the show.
Mako Ruu
I was watching a cartoon with my niece.

Most of the time, cartoons have fairly simple things like 1+1=2 and so on.

But this time I saw an equation that looks rather complex.

I made a thread before about this, and tons of people replied.

If I can tell by what's visible, it's an equation for time dilation.

Coincidentally, the episode was about Time Travel. (The Protagonist in the photo, met herself in the beginning of the Episode, with a warning from her Future self getting cut off mid-sentence due to a finite amount of time she could spend in the past.)

Even though it's not important, I thought it was interesting and it would give everyone something to mull over for a few minutes.

Sorry for the poor angle, this was the best one available in the episode.

6Y2Iq.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, its nice to know that scientific knowledge is at least somewhat spread out amongst the general population.

Vorde said:
Hmm, its nice to know that scientific knowledge is at least somewhat spread out amongst the general population.

You call a one-eyed purple unicorn the general population?

The point being that the inclusion of the Lorentz transformations implys that someone who probably has no professional scientific experience at all (the animator) knew something about relativity.

Yep. Those formulas look like time dilation formulas.
Nice that the formulas kids get to see actually mean something! :smile:

I remember being inspired by cartoons and books.
When things looked as if they might be possible, I wanted to know everything about them.

I thought it was funny because one of the animators at least has to know what he or she is doing to chunk out a huge piece of Quantum Mechanics.

Even though I don't have a degree in physics, I'm fairly learned on the many of the various subjects, albeit the more popular ones.

Regardless, I just thought it was funny to see this equation in a television show aimed at children who still drink from sippy cups.

As for Imalooser's post. - She's normally cuter than this. In the show, she gets into various accidents trying to avoid the impending disaster she thinks is coming from the warning of her future self.

>picture is related

50423-_2D00_-happy-screencap-twilight_5F00_sparkle.png

I'm just going to leave this here.

Also, one of the writers of the Simpsons and a creator of Futurama, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_X._Cohen , was a physicist. So you see lots of very relevant equations written in the background in the Simpsons.

Last edited by a moderator:
VortexLattice said:
I'm just going to leave this here.

Also, one of the writers of the Simpsons and a creator of Futurama, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_X._Cohen , was a physicist. So you see lots of very relevant equations written in the background in the Simpsons.

Everyone knows that Pinkie Pie is a demi god.

It's the only explanation that she's able to do the things that she can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mako Ruu said:
Regardless, I just thought it was funny to see this equation in a television show aimed at children who still drink from sippy cups.

Although, browsing through the web you quickly get the feeling that there are more grown up men watching this show than sippy cup children, so maybe the equations were aimed at them ;)

Zarqon said:
Although, browsing through the web you quickly get the feeling that there are more grown up men watching this show than sippy cup children, so maybe the equations were aimed at them ;)

Also true, that may very well be the case. One of the animators giving a proverbial "shout out" to the adult males that watch the show. The odds of some of them being physicists is as high as any other profession given how many people watch the show.

(For instance, myself.)

1. How is time dilation portrayed in children's cartoons?

In children's cartoons, time dilation is often portrayed as a character or object moving at an incredibly fast speed, causing time to slow down for them relative to others. This can also be shown through the use of time travel or time machines, where characters can travel to different points in time.

2. Is time dilation scientifically accurate in children's cartoons?

While time dilation is a real phenomenon in the field of physics, it is often exaggerated or simplified in children's cartoons for entertainment purposes. The basic concept of time slowing down for objects in motion is accurate, but the extent to which it is portrayed may not be entirely scientifically accurate.

3. Can children understand the concept of time dilation through cartoons?

Children's cartoons often use visual and simplified explanations to convey complex concepts, making it easier for children to understand. However, the concept of time dilation may still be difficult for young children to grasp fully. It is important for parents or educators to provide further explanations and context to help children understand the concept better.

4. Are there any benefits to teaching children about time dilation through cartoons?

Using cartoons to introduce children to the concept of time dilation can be a fun and engaging way to spark their interest in science and physics. It can also help children develop critical thinking skills as they try to understand and make connections between the concept and its portrayal in cartoons.

5. Are there any other scientific concepts related to time dilation that are often portrayed in children's cartoons?

Aside from time dilation, other related concepts that are often portrayed in children's cartoons include space-time, relativity, and the speed of light. These concepts are often used in conjunction with time dilation to explain phenomena such as time travel or the effects of gravity on time.