The rate of current through a solenoid - clarification needed.

In summary, a student was able to solve a problem involving a solenoid and a changing magnetic field through trial and error. They found that the value of the electric field was constant along a circular path around the solenoid, and this allowed them to take the line integral over the circle. The sign of their solution was incorrect, but with the help of others, they were able to understand the relationship between the electric and magnetic fields in this problem. They also clarified that this relationship holds for all solenoids, as long as the magnetic field is changing.
Kruum

Homework Statement

http://www.aijaa.com/img/b/00106/3735947.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex] \epsilon =- \frac {d \Phi}{dt}=- \frac {d BA}{dt}= \oint \vec{E} \cdot d \vec{l} [/tex]
[tex] B= \mu _0nIA [/tex], where n is solenoid's turns per meter.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to solve this through trial and error, almost. What I got is [tex] \epsilon =- \frac { \mu _0 nAdI}{dt} \Longrightarrow \frac {dI}{dt}=- \frac {E2 \pi r_1}{ \mu _0n \pi r_{2}^2}=-9.21 \frac{A}{s}[/tex], where r1=0.035m and r2=0.011m. Our assistant teacher wasn't able to tell me why we to take the line integral over a circle in [tex] \epsilon = \oint \vec{E} \cdot d \vec{l} [/tex] and why my sign is wrong. Can somebody help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kruum,

Kruum said:

Homework Statement

http://www.aijaa.com/img/b/00106/3735947.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex] \epsilon =- \frac {d \Phi}{dt}=- \frac {d BA}{dt}= \oint \vec{E} \cdot d \vec{l} [/tex]
[tex] B= \mu _0nIA [/tex], where n is solenoid's turns per meter.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to solve this through trial and error, almost. What I got is [tex] \epsilon =- \frac { \mu _0 nAdI}{dt} \Longrightarrow \frac {dI}{dt}=- \frac {E2 \pi r_1}{ \mu _0n \pi r_{2}^2}=-9.21 \frac{A}{s}[/tex], where r1=0.035m and r2=0.011m. Our assistant teacher wasn't able to tell me why we to take the line integral over a circle in [tex] \epsilon = \oint \vec{E} \cdot d \vec{l} [/tex] and why my sign is wrong. Can somebody help?

The point in taking the line integral over a circle is because the E field is constant all along that circular path (from symmetry). (By constant I mean that it has the same magnitude and has the orientation (tangent) relative to each point along the circle.) That allows us to take E out of the integral and then the integral is just the circumference of the circle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the hasty reply, alphysicist!

alphysicist said:
The point in taking the line integral over a circle is because the E field is constant all along that circular path (from symmetry).

So the electric field is circular around the solenoid? If so, I misinterpreted the text and thought the E field went through the solenoid.

Kruum said:
Thanks for the hasty reply, alphysicist!

Yes, I almost missed your post completely. The first time I saw it had already gone off the front page.

So the electric field is circular around the solenoid? If so, I misinterpreted the text and thought the E field went through the solenoid.

The magnetic field goes straight throught the solenoid, and the changing magnetic field will induce an electric field around it.

I think it's useful if you compare Faraday's law for this problem with Ampere's law applied to a long straight wire. That way you can see the relationship between E and the changing B field from this problem, is similar to the relationship between an infinite straight current and it's magnetic field.

alphysicist said:
I think it's useful if you compare Faraday's law for this problem with Ampere's law applied to a long straight wire. That way you can see the relationship between E and the changing B field from this problem, is similar to the relationship between an infinite straight current and it's magnetic field.

So is this the case with all solenoids? Their magnetic field will create an electric field around them?

Oh, and hopefully my thank yous didn't come out negative. I really appreciate your replies.

Kruum said:
So is this the case with all solenoids? Their magnetic field will create an electric field around them?

That sounds right, as long as the magnetic field is changing.

Oh, and hopefully my thank yous didn't come out negative. I really appreciate your replies.

I'm glad to help! (And for a moment I was wondering if your thank you was just a sarcastic comment. But I know how easy it is to misunderstand and be misunderstood with just text, so I always just take things at face value.)

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a cylindrical coil of wire that is used to generate a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. It is commonly used in electromagnets, relays, and other electronic devices.

2. How is the rate of current through a solenoid calculated?

The rate of current, or electric current, is measured in amperes (A) and is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R) in the circuit. In the case of a solenoid, the current is also affected by the number of turns in the coil and the strength of the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the rate of current through a solenoid?

The rate of current through a solenoid is affected by the voltage and resistance in the circuit, as well as the number of turns in the coil and the strength of the magnetic field. Other factors such as the material and thickness of the wire and the temperature can also have an impact on the current.

4. Why is clarification needed for the rate of current through a solenoid?

Clarification may be needed for the rate of current through a solenoid because it is influenced by multiple factors and can be calculated in different ways. It is important to specify which factors and equations are being used to determine the rate of current in a specific scenario.

5. How does the rate of current through a solenoid affect its magnetic field?

The rate of current through a solenoid is directly proportional to the strength of its magnetic field. This means that increasing the current will result in a stronger magnetic field, while decreasing the current will weaken the magnetic field. However, the magnetic field strength also depends on the other factors mentioned earlier, such as the number of turns and the material of the wire.