Second quantization of field operators

In summary, the conversation discusses the relation between the particle density operator and a given state that describes a particle at a specific position. The delta function allows for setting the two parameters equal outside of its function, resulting in the original state.
grilo

Homework Statement

(from "Advanced Quantum Mechanics", by Franz Schwabl)
Show, by verifying the relation
[tex]\[n(\bold{x})|\phi\rangle = \delta(\bold{x}-\bold{x'})|\phi\rangle\][/tex],
that the state
[tex]\[|\phi\rangle = \psi^\dagger(\bold{x'})|0\rangle\][/tex]
([tex]\[|0\rangle =\][/tex]vacuum state) describes a particle with the position [tex]\bold{x'}[/tex].

Homework Equations

The particle density operator [tex]n(\bold{x})[/tex] is defined as
[tex]n(\bold{x}) = \psi^\dagger(\bold{x})\psi(\bold{x})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Acting on the given state with the particle density operator, I got
[tex]n(\bold{x})|\phi\rangle = \psi^\dagger(\bold{x})\psi(\bold{x})\psi^\dagger(\bold{x'})|0\rangle = \psi^\dagger(\bold{x})(\delta(\bold{x}-\bold{x'}) \pm \psi^\dagger(\bold{x'})\psi(\bold{x}))|0\rangle[/tex]
by the (fermion) boson (anti-)commutation rules. Since [tex]\psi(\bold{x})[/tex] annihilates the vacuum:
[tex]n(\bold{x})|\phi\rangle = \delta(\bold{x}-\bold{x'})\psi^\dagger(\bold{x})|0\rangle[/tex]

which looks like the given equation, but [tex]\psi^\dagger(\bold{x})|0\rangle[/tex] describes a particle at the position [tex]\bold{x}[/tex].
Integrating the last equation in [tex]\bold{x}[/tex] gives back the original state [tex]|\phi\rangle[/tex], though.

I'm not sure wheter I misunderstood something or it's just a matter of interpretation.
Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
The delta function is only non-zero when x = x', so you are free to set these two parameters equal outside the delta function.

So remember: [tex]\delta(x-y) f(y) = \delta(x-y) f(x)[/tex]. We can just pretend x and y are equal outside the delta function. The expression is zero anyway when x and y are not equal.

Ah... thanks! I kinda thought that, but was afraid of being lousy. I try to keep my physics as mathematically rigorous as possible, so sometimes I run into those little issues. (:

Thanks again!

What is second quantization of field operators?

Second quantization is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of quantum fields, which are fields that exhibit quantum mechanical properties. It involves quantizing the field operators, which represent the creation and annihilation of particles within the field.

Why is second quantization necessary?

Second quantization is necessary because classical field theories, which do not take into account quantum effects, fail to accurately describe the behavior of certain physical systems. By quantizing the field operators, we can account for the discreteness and non-commutativity of quantum particles.

What is the difference between first and second quantization?

First quantization is the process of quantizing the wave function of a single particle, while second quantization involves quantizing the field operators, which represent an infinite number of particles in a field. In first quantization, particles are treated as individual entities, whereas in second quantization, they are treated as excitations of a quantum field.

What are the applications of second quantization?

Second quantization is used in a wide range of fields, including quantum field theory, condensed matter physics, and particle physics. It is essential for understanding phenomena such as superconductivity, superfluidity, and the behavior of particles in high-energy accelerators.

How is second quantization related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. In second quantization, this uncertainty is reflected in the non-commutation of field operators, which leads to the creation and annihilation of particles. This principle is fundamental to the behavior of quantum fields and is a key aspect of second quantization.