Convergence of this sequence .

In summary, the limit of 10n/n! as n approaches infinity is 0. The approach using L'Hospital's rule was incorrect as the factorial function dominates and the limit is actually equal to 0.
bs vasanth

Homework Statement

find the limit n[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]∞ of 10n/ n!

Homework Equations

L hospital rule

The Attempt at a Solution

took log and separated the num and denom as:
n ln10-ln(n!)
n ln10-n ln(n)+n
1/n ( ln10 - ln(n)+1)
now i applied l hospital rule
then i got lim n[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]∞ as 0.So the actual answer is 1. (e0)
I just want to know if the approach is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
bs vasanth said:
n ln10-n ln(n)+n
1/n ( ln10 - ln(n)+1)

I'm afraid I don't see how you transition between these two steps.
Also, intuitively the factorial function should dominate and the limit should be zero.

Fightfish said:
I'm afraid I don't see how you transition between these two steps.
Also, intuitively the factorial function should dominate and the limit should be zero.
my bad ,in my desperate attempt to get a ratio, I did that stupid thing. How do we solve it beyond intuition?

From n ln10-n ln(n)+n, you can combine all the terms into a single expression. Taking the limit, you will find that the expression tends to minus infinity. The limit of the original expression is then 0.

n*ln(10e/n) this is what i am getting , and it is not -infinity .

bs vasanth said:
n*ln(10e/n) this is what i am getting , and it is not -infinity .

Yes, the limit of that is -infinity. n goes to +infinity. What does ln(10e/n) do?

Dick said:
Yes, the limit of that is -infinity. n goes to +infinity. What does ln(10e/n) do?

I took n out , then
n( ln10-lnn +1 )
n(ln10-lnn+lne)
n ln(10e/n)
i don't know what to do after this.

Are you saying that ln0 is taken as -inf, but there is also n before that right which becomes +inf.

The ratio test gives: [itex]a_{n+1}/a_n= (10^{n+1}/(n+ 1)!)(n!/10^n)= (10^{n+1})/10^n)(n!/(n+1)!)= 10/(n+1)[/itex] goes to 0 as n goes to 0. Strictly speaking, the ratio test shows that [tex]\sum a_n[/tex] converges but if that is so, then, of course, the sequence [itex]\{a_n\}[/itex] converges to 0.

(The converse is not necessarily true. For example, [itex]\{1/n\}[/itex] clearly converges to 0 but the sum [tex]\sum 1/n[/tex] does NOT converge so the ratio test does not work.)

Last edited by a moderator:
bs vasanth said:
Are you saying that ln0 is taken as -inf, but there is also n before that right which becomes +inf.

n*ln(10e/n) if n is really big is a really big positive number multiplied by a really big negative number. What is that going to be?

Likes 1 person
Office_Shredder said:
n*ln(10e/n) if n is really big is a really big positive number multiplied by a really big negative number. What is that going to be?

Now i get it , it is going to really big negative number, so -inf.
therefor the answer for the original question is 0.
thankyou everyone.

1. What is the definition of convergence in a sequence?

The term "convergence" in a sequence refers to the idea that as the sequence progresses, the elements of the sequence get closer and closer to a specific value, known as the limit. In other words, the sequence approaches and eventually reaches a certain value.

2. How do you determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent?

A sequence is convergent if the elements of the sequence approach a specific value, known as the limit. To determine if a sequence is convergent, you can use various tests such as the limit comparison test, the ratio test, or the root test. If the limit of the sequence exists and is a finite value, then the sequence is convergent. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, then the sequence is divergent.

3. Can a sequence have more than one limit?

No, a sequence can only have one limit. This is because the limit of a sequence is a unique value that the elements of the sequence approach as it progresses. If a sequence has more than one limit, it would mean that the elements are approaching different values, which is not possible in a convergent sequence.

4. How does the convergence of a sequence relate to its rate of growth?

The convergence of a sequence is closely related to its rate of growth. A sequence that converges quickly has a faster rate of growth, while a sequence that converges slowly has a slower rate of growth. This is because the limit of a sequence is dependent on the elements of the sequence and how quickly they approach the limit value.

5. Can a divergent sequence ever become convergent?

Yes, a divergent sequence can become convergent. This can happen if the sequence is modified in some way, such as by taking the absolute value or raising the elements to a power. By altering the elements of the sequence, it is possible to change the behavior of the sequence and make it converge to a specific limit.